I'm over-thinking this?

Christian J

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2017
Martinez
ok, I don't know what to believe anymore, but my two pullets love to peck my socks. One article I read says chicks shouldn't peck fuzzy things or strings because it gets into the windpipe. And another suggests its fine; they will eat worse when they move out of my room and into my backyard. Apparently I'm over-thinking this, but is there any risk? If so, how do I change the behavior?Thanks!

..Similarly, they are obsessed with anything soft and fuzzy. Just saying saying. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I'd avoid string. Long grass can block an adult chickens crop (should have seen the pile of grass the vet removed by surgery from our girl) because they can't always break it down enough to digest so it blocks things. If they have trouble with long grass they could have real problems with string.

String won't be good, don't let them have any! I don't think that you should have them pecking you anywhere, for any reason. It's bad behavior, not to be encouraged. You can invite them into your space, but otherwise they should respect you; you are not another chicken! Mary

synthetic fibers are not going to break down in the digestive system. How old are they? Having them in your bedroom at any age is very bad for your lungs, and if they are 4 weeks old, they should be outside full time. At that age, in the summer, they will not need any heat at all.

I don't know how much they are actually removing and ingesting. I don't think it's much, but just want to curb the behavior before it causes problems. They will be outdoors soon. Its just that they are obsessed with fuzzy things and literally wont stop even if I move them, they come right back with a vengeance! Lol. I guess fuzz is irresistible for them. I think they are doing what they do naturally given their environment is a house right now.

synthetic fibers are not going to break down in the digestive system. How old are they? Having them in your bedroom at any age is very bad for your lungs, and if they are 4 weeks old, they should be outside full time. At that age, in the summer, they will not need any heat at all.
The fibers wont break down but will pass thru them ok I hope? I mean, the fuzz wont collect inside them and have to be removed now does it? I hope not! Hope I'm catching this habit early.

They are ~4 weeks old, maybe 5.

Back
Top Bottom