I'm Ready to Scream! Post #6 for more and graphic pictures post #8

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I have recently lost 4 birds including my favorite and have been crying on and off all week. But today I almost lost it, I didn't loss any more birds, but had other problems.

My mom has been having a handyman come out and do some work in the house and today he was removing the remains of a chimney and my mom had left him a note (how they have been talking all week) saying to stack/leave them "by the little fence", which is my flower bed.

Today I come home to the bricks stacked in my garden!!!!! On top of two gladiolus and one of my lavender plants! I dropped everything and started throwing them out of my garden on to the ground next to it. The one gladiolus is just a little bent and the lavender has some crushed up leaves it looks like, but the other gladiolus is cut and scratched up along with being bent. I called my mom up because I am ticked, this is a fenced in flower bed with flowers (some even blooming!!) in it! And in the middle of explaining it I started bawling, this has been a very tiring week for me and this is not what I needed.
somad.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Hugs.Always ups and downs with each day. It is late in the season but if you email your addy I will send you some seeds to cheer you up.

I remember one year I planted like 15 sunflowers along my driveway.It was looking soooooo good.Plants about 4 feet high. We came home from a day at grandmas,and the squirrels had tore off EVERY sunflower head.Every one of them. Yea I cried. I planted ornamental grass after that,and only put sunflowers in a more protected area.

Remember my crappy day yesterday? It got worse. My sister was in the kitchen and heard a weird noise, so she asked to barrow my cros, which she does all the time so I said yes. Less then a minute later all my mom and me heard was her screaming her lungs out. She says she doesn't even know she was screaming. But I ran to the kitchen and saw my cros weren't there, having forgot that my sister had taken them, and just ran out bare foot. It felt like I never touched the ground, I was running so fast.

When I reached the coop, where she had gone, she screamed something like "It's in the pen! It's in the pen with them!" It being a big, healthy raccoon who had one of my white birds pinned to the ground, not moving. I started yelling at it and opened the run in the hopes of getting some of the birds out of the way. Both Red and one of the WL/EE hens ran for it. I sent my sister for my 22 while I tried to get it out and the chickens safe. All of a sudden the raccoon climbed up the wall of the pen and squished threw a small crack between fencing and got away.

Then I saw movement the bird he pinned down started to move. It was Kernel my WL/EE rooster, his head covered in blood. I honestly don't remember if he came to me or I ducked into the run to grab him. The first thing I saw was his right eye was gone and the left was closed, swollen, and bloody with no way to tell if it was even there or what shape it was in. I sat there holding him hoping he was okay and watching for the coon.

When my sister came out I made her guard them and ran inside with Kernel, to find that as my sister had come out our dog had a seizure. Which caused him to fall down the steps from the deck on to rock. As I came back in mom was comforting him. But I ran Kernel to the bathroom to try washing him up and examine him for anymore wounds. In all his comb is cut up, a cut behind a his head, and his eyes. None of it was life threatening and he was to freaked out and wouldn't let me touch his head (who can blame him?). So I set him up in a cage in my room and hoped for the best.

This morning a little before 6 am, I woke up to the beautiful sound of crowing. While it would have been beautiful if I was already awake, but most severely wounded or sick roosters don't crow. So I got up and covered his cage with towels, not even thinking of his eyes. But he shut up. A little while later when I got up, I checkout the damaged eye and saw the most beautiful thing, a bright, healthy, orange eye.

I have a roo, named Abraham L. Cause of his black top hat (he is a creve) who got his eye gouged out by another rooster. That eye is know blind and is smaller than his other eye. But he is a fighter, he still mates with hens, crows, and fights with other Roos. I hope your roo does ok, good luck
thumbsup.gif
. Are you giving him anything to help fight infection, you can give him a pill of aspirin (anti imflamitory and helps with pain) in a pint of water, mix it up and give him some through a syringe, that should help with pain. This is what our poultry vet recommend to us for one of our hurt Roos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom