I'm sick of my bully hens

forgot, this is what they look like
31951_bumper_bit.jpg

Had a similar problem but all of mine were the same size- but 3 on 1 is no fair...

I put out 4 different food water stations so not all of the bullies could guard the food, I also put out 5 or six cardboard boxes cut so that there was a tunnel (two/four openings so nobody could get cornered and reached at) - put scratch in 6 different places and made two different dust areas... It all worked out, took a month.

Quote:
Are you saying that the 9 birds are kept within the 136 sq ft all the time? If so, that is not really enough space to integrate flocks. Addiionally, every bird is different and you will not find their behaviors to be completely predictable. You may very well find that some birds wil not tolerate newcomers no mtter what trick you try.

Are you saying that the 9 birds are kept within the 136 sq ft all the time? If so, that is not really enough space to integrate flocks.

Why not? If the 'standard' room for the bird in a run is 10 sqft per each then I have enough for 13.6 birds according to the logic of this board and numerous publications, or 15 sqft for each of the ones I have. Furthermore there is additional coop space of 42 sqft and additional roost space in the form of 3 2x4's out in the run itself, this is TX coop space is not one of those things we worry with because it doesn't get cold enough out here, even so, it's enough room for 10 birds. So what is the 'standard' space requirement for integration??? Can you provide some sort of documentation? I haven't read anything on it, never heard of it, raised chickens half of my life too. I've integrated before without this problem, the mutt and the EE's actually. Heck I even put the 2 pullets in with my silkies, who are more aggressive than we thought, in a run that is actually far too small and we do not have this problem. And it is not like they have never seen each other before, they lived in separate runs right next to each other since December.

The problem is not space, it is aggressive birds. 4 of them. And they are getting bits unless there is some other solution. And once my chicks are laying they have a place ready for them on a ranch.​

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with problem. One of my hens got pecked so bad that her guts were hanging. We had to put her down. At first I thought it was my rooster doing until I caught my RIR. I heard an old wives tale about putting black grease on their backs. Has anyone ever heard of this?

honestly, for a quick simple solution to bullying hens, put on the bits. like i said, 2 days & mine where all fine.
the problem when they draw blood, it attracts the rest of them then it turns really nasty.

the 6 RIR's pinned the white one (does anyone know here breed??) to the ground and they all pecked her. if she darent get up they'd be back on her. now, no problems.

Thank you so much for the info and pictures!!!!!! We ended up rehoming our plucker as the feed store wanted her for eggs. Now we have new chicks...but I am just going to bits if this happens again and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom