1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so ashamed, ordered more eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by key west chick, Nov 1, 2008.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Ok, since my last batch of ordered eggs was a flop, I have foolishly ordered more! The lady told me to deduct the broken ones from payment. So I have 4 little sad eggs in the bator. I'm afraid if I wait to see what these do, her hens will stop laying for the year and I'll have to wait till spring. And after finally getting my bator up and running, who wants to wait. I'm so ashamed, what WILL people think.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You should just drive up to my place and get some Barred Rock eggs. I know it's a couple of hours (my dad lives in Flowery Branch), but you'd avoid the shipping stress and have a better hatch. Naturally, that would depend on if you like BRs, but....Several who've driven up here to get the eggs have had awesome hatches.
    And people will think...why didnt she tell us what kind of eggs?! [​IMG]

3. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    *sigh* I wish I could raise chicks all year round... Im so jealous of you Florida people. I think Im going to have to move.

4. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I don't even know what kind of eggies they are! Its the same lady I've gotten some of my KW birds in the past. I always wondered what the little tiny ones running around her place were. She told me the Cubans call them Kikiriki's. She thinks they were used to make the KW chickens smaller. So they don't really have a name. My parents live in Flowery Branch, off Winder highway.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:"Kikiriki" sounds a lot like the onomatopoeic word in Spanish for what a rooster says. That's cute! Maybe the name means something similar to "banties" (generic mutt fowl) in English in some regions.

I've also seen it written as "qui qui qui i qui." There are several versions of it in Spanish, I think.

6. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Chicken lady, thats it! She told me it's spelled both ways. It translates to cock-a-doodle-do. So I guess I'm getting cock-a-doddle do eggs! All she knows is the cubans call them kiki's and were used to make the KW chickens smaller and they came from cuba in the coat pockets of refugees. So I guess they are a banty, banty, game mix. She says they are even smaller than banty games.

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hey, I am just across the river from you and still setting. I have a small room indoors for my winter brooding. It is not stopping me, although I may live to regret it in about a month......

I do agree that folks in the milder climates are very lucky, and not just because they can hatch all year long......I am dreading the minus 30 degrees.

Key West Chick, I think you should get some eggs from Speckled hen! Shipping is brutal on those poor eggies. You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. I would be getting more eggs for sure. Heck, I do even when I have good hatches. I should be ashamed.[​IMG]

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by