I'm so excited to get started treating my chicks like queens

BosmerOak

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
Clyde, NC
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I had the pleasure of having chickens around when I was small but not since. My chicks are five days old.​

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 8 pullets.​

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have two cuckoo marans, two barnvelders, three self blue Cochins, and one silver laced wyandotte.​

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They have so much personality! There's nothing better than a friendly hen.​

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy kayaking, biking, and hiking with my husband and pups.​

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband had never touched a chicken in his life, but he's warming up to them quickly. Especially the little girl, Chena, who loves to nestle down in his hands. I have a lab/terrier mix puppy and a boxer/shephard mix puppy. There are too many babies in this house, haha. Otherwise, I'm a recently graduated optometrist.​

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found this page when I was googling about pasty butt / constipation. Only one of my shipped chicks have developed it so far. I caught it pretty quickly, but she was constipated for the rest of the day. I started getting pretty worried. I found a posting saying to give her a warm bath and it worked like a charm! I figured I'm going to find lots more valuable information from this awesome group.​

Greetings! I love that, treating your chickens like queens. That's how I treat my girls. They are so spoiled with their imported sardines (no salt, packed in water). I had no idea how attached to them I'd become. I call them my feathered puppies! Sounds like they are very lucky birds to have made their way to you and your hubby. Congrats on the new babies and welcome!

Welcome to this great chicken community! I am a complete chicken newbie and everything I know I’ve learned from here including that pasty butt fix. Congrats on becoming an optometrist. Do you have one of those eyeball keychains?

Ps my Wyandotte’s are my favorite chickens. They are sassy as all get out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom