I'm so excited to get started treating my chicks like queens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BosmerOak, Jun 24, 2019.

1. BosmerOak

BosmerOak In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    GA
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I had the pleasure of having chickens around when I was small but not since. My chicks are five days old.​

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    I have 8 pullets.​

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I have two cuckoo marans, two barnvelders, three self blue Cochins, and one silver laced wyandotte.​

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
    They have so much personality! There's nothing better than a friendly hen.​

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I enjoy kayaking, biking, and hiking with my husband and pups.​

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    My husband had never touched a chicken in his life, but he's warming up to them quickly. Especially the little girl, Chena, who loves to nestle down in his hands. I have a lab/terrier mix puppy and a boxer/shephard mix puppy. There are too many babies in this house, haha. Otherwise, I'm a recently graduated optometrist.​

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
    I found this page when I was googling about pasty butt / constipation. Only one of my shipped chicks have developed it so far. I caught it pretty quickly, but she was constipated for the rest of the day. I started getting pretty worried. I found a posting saying to give her a warm bath and it worked like a charm! I figured I'm going to find lots more valuable information from this awesome group.​

2. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Welcome to BYC! Nice that you're introducing your husband to chickens. My daughter was so surprised with how warm their feet feel on you.

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with the chick's!

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Another thing that works like a charm for chick constipation is coconut oil.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

6. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @BosmerOak ! welcome to BYC :frow
    that's a lovely flock! will you post some photos soon?

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

8. Shellvegas

Shellvegas Chirping

Sep 20, 2017
    Greetings! I love that, treating your chickens like queens. That's how I treat my girls. They are so spoiled with their imported sardines (no salt, packed in water). I had no idea how attached to them I'd become. I call them my feathered puppies! Sounds like they are very lucky birds to have made their way to you and your hubby. Congrats on the new babies and welcome!

9. Welcome to this great chicken community! I am a complete chicken newbie and everything I know I’ve learned from here including that pasty butt fix. Congrats on becoming an optometrist. Do you have one of those eyeball keychains?

Ps my Wyandotte’s are my favorite chickens. They are sassy as all get out!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  10. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello BosmerOak.
    Welcome to BYC.
    It won't be long before your husband will be completely besotted by the chickens and will be tut tuting at you if you don't look after them as he thinks you should.:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: