I'm so sad I just need to vent

Huny

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
After working so hard, trying to incubate I had 4 healthy chicks at the end of the day. I have 4 with navels that aren't closed up. The four healthy chicks were crawling and pecking at the sick ones, so I decided to put them over to the brooder. Only all my brooders are full, so I made a makeshift one. I didn't think it was too hot it was only a 75 watt bulb on a cardboard box, but 20 minutes later now, they are all dead. I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. These guys were so healthy and vibrant, and I roasted them.

One was a Barred Buff Cochin that I have been hoping so much for. Another was a Black Rosecomb. Another I don't even know what color the initials stood for br bbr Rosecomb. And the last was a mixed breed. I have 2 sick rosecombs as of right now, and 4 sick Columbian Rocks. I am ready to just give up.

hit.gif
hugs.gif

Aww I'm sorry you lost your chicks! Don't beat yourself up, everyone makes mistakes. ( we are only human) Don't give up, I know this gets you down, but you will have success with the others and fuzzybutts running all around!
big_smile.png

I am so sorry that happened. I almost cooked a marans that had hatched but was weak and i put it where I thought it was good, was gone twenty minutes and he was limp and nearly dead. I broght him back to life and he did good for a month and just tipped over dead one day for no apparent reason.

Gosh, I feel your pain, its miserable to think and feel this way.
You cannot show me a single person that hasn't had a chick drown, get cooked by the heat lamp, get stuck in panic and die, get picked to death, or trampled on.
This is nature, if you had a hen hatching (natures incubator), it could have been a fox, coon, another hen, momma didn't like the chick, it got stuck in a crack and the list goes on.
Please don't let those babies die in vain, go on the explain to your fellow 4-Hers, BYCers, and local feed store chick day the importance of checking, a thermometer and that a 25 watt bulb will heat a small area.
So sorry you had to learn the hard way - as we all have, you will not have a single person judging you.
Try to have a better day
hugs.gif

I remember when I roasted one of my chicks. God, i was heart broken.
Since then I am really careful and I put a good thermometer on the bottom of the brooder where the chicks are. Less heat is survivable, more is probably not.

Sorry for you loss. That does stink.

Back
Top Bottom