:( I'm so sad...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OHChick, Apr 28, 2008.

1. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    I lost another chicken. I raised these from babies that I got last May, I had zero losses and then in the last 4 weeks I've lost two girls, one to CRD and this one drowned yesterday. The girls always hop up on the big water trough that my alpacas drink out of, what would have made her fall in and be unable to get out?

My DH was asking if there is something we can put in there to float, in case another falls in, something she could grab hold of to climb out.

I guess I knew my run of good luck would run out eventually but does not make me any less sad about it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am so sorry. [​IMG] That's just terrible. Sending hugs your way... [​IMG]

3. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I have thought about this in my situation too when my chickens start free ranging...I have horse water troughs...
    This is what I was thinking about doing -
    Take chicken wire and run it under the water about 4-5 inches and attach it securely on both sides....though you will want to be able to remove it to clean the trough.
    Just a suggestion, and I haven't put it to use yet...take pics if you do!
    Again, sorry about your loss....sometimes our little friends leave unexpectedly, our memories of them should be happy...

4. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Sorry for your loss my chickens jump up and drink out of our big water trough, I guess I should fix mine also. I wonderd about that when I saw them up there.[​IMG]

5. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Sorry about your chicken. The chicken wire idea is a good one. You might even be able to make your wire platform float if you put some empty capped pop bottles under it for a floatation device. Alpacas/horses could push the edge down to drink.

We put a big stick in our tanks b/c we've had squirrels fall in and drown. They can climb up the stick and get out. Not sure if a chicken would figure that out, though? Maybe a small plank?

- Michelle

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    that's awful. I'm so sorry..*hugs*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by