I'm sorry I have another question😅

Mar 8, 2024
Midwestern US
Sorry, I have another question, I feel like I'm bombarding everyone with questions 😬 After I post a thread asking something I feel like I have more questions, so that's why I keep on coming back with more.
Okay...I heard that you have to sanitize the incubator to prevent bacteria from the incubator from getting into the eggs (or something like that.) Mostly every "recipe" online calls for bleach, but is there a simpler formula that I could use with household items? (I don't have bleach nor do I want to use it.)
But do I even have to sanitize it? It is brand new and I haven't hatched in it before.

I will try to tag everyone who I think might be able to help.

@Antiocheggers, @NatJ, @Debbie292d, @GlicksChicks.
I probably missed a bunch of people so please tag anyone who I missed.
Thanks so much!

I did not sanitize mine the first time I hatched because it was brand new from the store in it's box. After hatching, though, I did clean it each time. I didn't use any chemicals though because I would be worried of not cleaning it away completely and the chemicals absorbing into the eggs.

Whenever I cleaned it I just used dish soap and water, scrubbed it down, then rinsed it off. I prefer to steer clear of chemicals when it comes to something that can eventually come in contact with newly hatched chicks who are more susceptable to illnesses and bad environmental factors. If you are worried about the incubator being dirty before your first hatch, I would recommend just cleaning it with dish soap and water. I would say if you trust the soap to clean dishes you eat off of, you could trust it to clean something you are using to hatch eggs.

I hope this helps! Also, don't worry anout having alot of questions, that is what we are here for!!

Okay...I heard that you have to sanitize the incubator to prevent bacteria from the incubator from getting into the eggs (or something like that.)...But do I even have to sanitize it? It is brand new and I haven't hatched in it before.
Clean is good. Actually sanitized may be a good idea, but a hen on a nest can get a good hatch rate without that, so it is probably not required in all cases.

Mostly every "recipe" online calls for bleach, but is there a simpler formula that I could use with household items? (I don't have bleach nor do I want to use it.)
Bleach is great stuff for certain purposes. It is relatively cheap, easy to get, easy to store in a jug until you need it, and small amounts will kill bacteria while not harming people. I do not know of any single product that can equal or beat bleach on those points.

But if you don't want to use bleach, there are definitely alternatives.

In your specific case, I might start with plain water, to remove any dust and dirt.

Then maybe expose it to sunlight for a few days. Sunlight is pretty good at killing bacteria. (Sunlight also breaks down plastic over time, so don't leave the incubator out in the sun for months on end, but a few days will probably not cause any issues.) Open the incubator and put the various sections so sunlight can shine on the inside of it, because inside is where the eggs and chicks will be.

But do I even have to sanitize it? It is brand new and I haven't hatched in it before.
The first time you do not have that great a need to sanitize it. I don't know what yours looks like (there are so many different makes and models) but warm soapy water with a good rinse can remove anything that might be there from manufacture, packing, and shipping. I'd be most concerned about anything greasy as that could compromise the bloom on the eggs. And, of course, be careful around anything electronic.

When the eggs hatch they release fluids and grime. The chicks move around while still wet and can slime things. The chicks can and do poop after hatch. That is the stuff you need to remove before the next hatch. If it stays on there three or four days it can really stink from the microbes living in it. I'm not going to tell you what you have to do to remove it but future hatches are at risk if you do not clean it.

As an aside but I think on topic. Keep your eggs clean. Do not set any egg that has clumps of mud or poop on them. A light dusting is not a problem but a clump means the bloom has been compromised and likely contains some microbes as well. And have clean hands when handling eggs. You do not want your hands to be oily or greasy when handling the eggs.

When a hen lays an egg it looks wet but quickly dries. That's the bloom she puts on it to keep bacteria out. It is extremely effective as long as it is not compromised.

Clean is good. Actually sanitized may be a good idea, but a hen on a nest can get a good hatch rate without that, so it is probably not required in all cases.

Bleach is great stuff for certain purposes. It is relatively cheap, easy to get, easy to store in a jug until you need it, and small amounts will kill bacteria while not harming people. I do not know of any single product that can equal or beat bleach on those points.

But if you don't want to use bleach, there are definitely alternatives.

In your specific case, I might start with plain water, to remove any dust and dirt.

Then maybe expose it to sunlight for a few days. Sunlight is pretty good at killing bacteria. (Sunlight also breaks down plastic over time, so don't leave the incubator out in the sun for months on end, but a few days will probably not cause any issues.) Open the incubator and put the various sections so sunlight can shine on the inside of it, because inside is where the eggs and chicks will be.
I have this sanitizing spray. Will that work do you think?
20240516_153842.jpg

Hi and thank you for the tag. Since reading an article that @Debbie292d,whom you have tagged, I cleaned my with Odoban. Not only my Incubatos but my coops as well. No chickens in the coop but I clean everything with it. I do use Clorox clean up for hard to clean area.
And, NO there are never to many questions on BYC. That's what we are here for.
Have blessed Day and I hope that helps.

I have this sanitizing spray. Will that work do you think?View attachment 3834160
I am not familiar with that product.

I found this page that I think is the same:
https://www.mbarcpet.com/products/paw-hand-sanitizer
The list of ingredients includes "Benzalkonium Chloride 0.13% (Antimicrobial)"

So yes, that would probably work. I notice the directions say to apply it to skin and allow it to sit for a certain amount of time. I do not know whether the same sitting time would work in an incubator or if you would need to adjust the time. The directions say to wipe off the excess after that time, but I also do not know if that is appropriate for the incubator, or if rinsing with water would be better for the incubator.

Which works out to: might work, I don't know for sure, do read what the manufacturer says and then decide how/if to use it.

Back
Top Bottom