Im starting to hate thermometers/hygrometers.

Which one, the Timex with the probe? So the medical thermometer is incorrect when it says 103?

Im about to go to the store, buy some plastic eggs, some marshmallow peeps at Easter time, and call it a day.....

How is your incubator heated? The shape and color of your thermometer can make a difference in the reading it gets. A black thermometer and a white one will make a difference in what it reads. The location of the fan if you have one also matters as blowing on the thermometer can make a difference, along with the internal thermometer measurement probe within the device. As for human thermometer, they are ment to be used at a fluid interface. Put in a small cup of water for a few hours and then use the human thermometer.

oh you guys !! I am totally frustrated, spent what seemed like HOURS in the local WalMart yesterday --- got sent all over the store to find the thermometer/hygrometer ... from Hardware to Pets to Electronics (!!) to Garden and back to Hardware (they were on the side of the end of the aisle ...

yes there was one of the "no good" little white one that everyone says is junk .. $7.88

yes there was an Acu-Rite, but a wireless with Atomic Clock and they wanted $39 (and for that I could possibly buy a whole incubator !! )

no $12 Acu-Rite to be seen

NO WATER WIGGLER either !!! by any name

did find an Acu-Rite at KMart, but they wanted $25 !!

none at Lowe's, none at Home Depot, none at any one of the three Ace Hardwares I went to, none at Del's Farm Supply (and they don't sell chicks any more either, nor incubators, at least not here, they are scared of avian flu)

got Omaha Steak box, got cheap lamp from thrift store, got water heater thermostat, got hardware cloth, got a couple of old PCs I can rip apart for the fan, got nice piece of glass for viewing port

got 17 eggs sitting there that no hen is hatching

also ... the blonde hen went broody and is sitting on 16 more ! don't think I can sneak any more under her, she's a banty ... or at least I think she is

my new EE and leghorn hens haven't laid anything yet, been too busy getting acquainted with the free-range flock ... but I have a couple of golf balls in the nest boxes they're using

C

Back
Top Bottom