I'm the target of the flogs

Just stand your ground, Kristi. Don't back down like a beta roo. If he decides to run up to you, just pick him up (I say it like that because Kip is a banty and it's easy for me to scoop him out of the air!
lol.png
). I have a feeling that holding your foot out is a "counter attack" as far as he's concerned.
With Kip, if I try to defend myself or fight back, he just keeps going. I've found that killing him with kindness works much better. Sometimes he's a little s**t and will try to bite me, but I just wait until he's settled down before I let him go back with his girls. Sometimes, I'll feed the girls while he is under my arm just to show him AGAIN who the boss really is.
Good luck!

Carrying them while doing chores is the best way to get them to stop...hitting them just makes them meanier or they become skittish around you. If you need to hit them, best to make chicken soup out of them.

But, I'm not hitting him.

I am literally just sticking my foot out and he runs into it.

We hold him nightly...he has never liked to be held...but he doesn't mind it when it's time to go to roost...I've even clipped his spur points before.

It's just that he likes to do this to me sometimes, and no one else that makes me wonder what's up.

He's a BO...he's not the easiest to catch in mid-air...he's quite a heavy/handsome critter.

With that, what other suggestions do you have?

I pick mine up and carry them around with me when they get a little sassy. Oh they try sooooo hard to get loose but when they find that mom has them pretty good in her arms, they soon give up. They are however going to the freezer in about 2-3 weeks. They are just too aggresive with my pullets and with the 24 new ones that are coming up in the next few weeks....well lets just say that everyone's heart won't be racing quite as hard. Poopybutt is staying because he is just so sweet and layed back. I've also found that looking bigger and getting right in their face and personal space is really a strong way of making your point. They don't like it and back down real quick. I start by standing up though before I come down to their level and stare them straight in the eye. We're so close their beak and my nose touch. Brave or stupid I know, but it's worked every time. Not that I would encourage that.

Mamacatpatch, you simply pick them up with both hands while facing away from you, holding their wings to their side, then shift them to your hip and let their legs hang down, holding the bird with one hand, and letting it ride on your hip. First time held birds will fuss some and complain but once they find out how nice the attention is, they really like it!

bigzio

Ah ha! So that's what the neck thing is all about. Three of my chickens do that to me. I thought they were checking me out, but Bleu the Roo always comes up to me and sticks his neck out. I'll start the 'purse chicken' behavior early on him.

Back
Top Bottom