We have a ton of black walnut trees on our property. Every year I collect them. And every year I screw them up. Last year I left them in the husks to sit out in the sun and dry up. But when I removed the husks and the shell the nut meat was deflated. This year I watched a youtube video on it. I managed to screw it up again. I took off the husks and washed them. I let them dry completely in my sink and then put them in a bucket to dry the rest of the way. After about a week of them sitting in the bucket in my house I smelled something. They were covered in mold! Apparently moisture from the house had collected and condensated in the bucket causing the growth of mold spores. They're ruined yet again please somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong so I know for next year! I feel like the worst squirrel in the world its a good thing I'm not a squirrel or I would have starved to death.