I'm thinking about keeping turkeys with my chickens- should I?

Should I add turkeys to the flock?

• Total voters
I have turkeys, chickens, guineas, emu, peafowl and ducks all free ranging together. They are perfectly fine as long as they have a good amount of space. If you want meat turkeys a broad breasted breed is best BUT if you want to be able to breed your own you will need a heritage breed. Broad breasted breeds can't hatch their own chicks as they are to heavy.

I have turkeys, chickens, guineas, emu, peafowl and ducks all free ranging together. They are perfectly fine as long as they have a good amount of space. If you want meat turkeys a broad breasted breed is best BUT if you want to be able to breed your own you will need a heritage breed. Broad breasted breeds can't hatch their own chicks as they are to heavy.
But could a broody hen hatch and raise turkeys?

They are not always fine even with plenty of space. Mine had over 10 sq ft of coop space per bird and about 4 acres to free range. It wasn't a space problem. It was a dominance problem.

But could a broody hen hatch and raise turkeys?
I assume you mean a broody chicken hen. She may or may not be able to hatch the eggs. Turkey eggs take longer to brood so a chicken hen may give up and abandon the nest before the eggs are ready. Also, turkey poults grow pretty fast so she wouldn't be able to keep more than two or three warm for long. They'd quickly outgrow her.

Back
Top Bottom