I'm totally numb

Sorry for your loss! We have been in your shoes, foxes were our killer. Now let's find out what it is, because it will be back. If you are not expecting any rain in your area, take a bag of flour and sprinkle it all over the hen house and around it. Put down enough to cover the floor well. Flour is cheap. Whatever walks through it will leave its' tracks. Then you will know what you are dealing with and how to get rid of it. I have used this trick before even on my back porch trying to figure out if it was coons or cats on my BBQ grill.
Good Luck!

Sorry for your loss, but be carefull if it was a bear they just put one down in western MD that was rabid, the house owner yelled at it and it ran at wife who shut door locking bear out, the bear decided to remove a window air conditioner to get into the house, the husband shot it and because 4 family members came in contact with the blood and saliva they are all going through rabies shots

I am so sorry too... I also live in Central Va... our buddy who is an animal control office locally has said that we are having a bad problem with bears... I have not personally YET... but one never knows... shot gun always on stand-by!!! If I could con DH into giving up a couple... (already let go of 10 of them) I would certainly help if I could. Hope you get that Big mean thing!!!!!

I wonder if the dry and hot weather so many of us have had over the last month or so is wreaking havoc on the normal food supplies of the critters out there, so they get more desperate and willing to try a chicken raid...

How tall was your fence for the chickens? Does sound like something bigger than a coon to me (of course, I'm new to all this, so I really have no clue...)

So sorry to hear about your chickens. makes me think I better go make sure my girls are in their house for the night...

Susan

Back
Top Bottom