I'm With Ya's... Just Set Eggs

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I posted earlier today that I was going to try taking my one Silkie who jointly hatched 15 bantam Cochin eggs Saturday thru Monday and put her on eggs that just came yesterday. I cleaned out my brooder and put Pearl on the bigger side (it's 6x4 with a divider to make a 4x4 and 2x4 section - my lone Ameraucana is on the 2x4 side yet). I put in the original nesting box I had her in before Vittles went broody and I put two EE eggs in there (if she didn't sit, I could take them tomorrow and eat them). I went to batten down the chicken hatches and there she was, sitting on those EE eggs!

So - I set 9 black split lav Orpington eggs from Nancy (Bargain) under her! She's having issues with 11 LF eggs, so I may have to take the EE eggs back out. No problem, though!

Now... If I could just get my OEGB to sit and stay on a clutch of eggs... She keeps jumping boxes and won't stay on one clutch. I've tried giving her 3-4 EE eggs two times and she ain't having it. But, she's definitely broody. Maybe I need a pen just for her...

I love me some broodies.
ya.gif

Just be sure your back to back setting broody Silkie is getting enough quality food to eat, so she does not loose condition.

Do you have a small plastic dog kennel? If so, at roosting time - gather up your box hopping broody and set her up with a couple eggs in the dog kennel. Drap a towel over the kennel so it stays dark the next day. I would let her set in the dark thru the first day, remove the towel the following morning. She should be setting broody tight - if she really wants to set - course there are birds who flirt with setting but never get down to business.

Pearl's still sitting on those eggs!
I am concerned about her condition. So far, so good, but I know it takes a lot out of them. She won't be hatching anymore for me after this. I'll let her raise this batch. Shame, all the good eggs are cheaper this time of year! And I need more Silkies...

My plastic dog kennel is housing my juveniles in the grow out pen. I honestly have no place to put her, unless I put her in with Vittles and see if she'll set in there. I am afraid she'll try taking over on raising the babies instead. She's so small, she can't sit on many anyways. I'll let he go because I think she is just a broody flirt, to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom