Immunization???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kfisher123, Jul 21, 2011.

1. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    My silkies weren't vaccinated for Mareks disease because they don't do that for Bantums. Do I need to do this myself? Is there any other immunization they need? I only have 5 of them with no other birds or animals nearby.

Thanks for any help![​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No- its not necessary. I ordered chicks from a hatchery this year for the first time ever. I didn't have them vaccinated for mereks or cocci. I fed them medicated chick starter for 4 weeks for the cocci. I've read diseases like mereks and new castles are more common in large, commercial sized flocks. That doesn't mean that backyard flocks can't catch them, but the odds are more in your favor that they wont. I don't even give my home hatched chicks the medicated feed, and have never had an issue with cocci or any other diseases. Good luck!

3. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I'm only going to have two birds in my 'flock' and I'm vaccinating for Marek's, gumboro and infectious bronchitis. I would do mycoplasma, but it's a bit too expensive right now.

The local vet phoned a poultry expert after I told him about the setup. He advised which to do and which were pointless. It was quite handy! I don't really want to be constantly worrying if a fall is just a fall or is it something else... That's what vaccins are for, isn't it? Peace of mind. I'm all for a peaceful life [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by