Impacted Crop Advice

chickpeasoup

Chirping
Mar 27, 2019
Southern California
One of my hens has an impacted and pendulous crop. So far I haven't fed her in 24 hours in hopes the impaction would pass (it hasn't). I gave her oregano oil which she hated and I have been giving her massages. I suspect it's been 3 days that her crop has been impacted. Her crop is one solid but slightly malleable mass, no smell, so I don't think we're fermenting yet. I've been putting some apple cider vinegar in her water. Her poop is mostly liquid, maybe a little bit of brown after our massages. Would stool softeners help? What kind of stool softeners would help? I have an organic senna/camomile tea, and milk of magnesia. I have no idea if those are chicken safe. I'm also looking at how to make a crop bra. I've been diligently massaging her, she seems to really like it, she falls asleep, but it doesn't seem to help as much. Any tips and advice to get this thing moving?? She isn't lethargic and is pretty alert and active, so I hope to help her before it gets really bad.

One of my hens has an impacted and pendulous crop. So far I haven't fed her in 24 hours in hopes the impaction would pass (it hasn't). I gave her oregano oil which she hated and I have been giving her massages. I suspect it's been 3 days that her crop has been impacted. Her crop is one solid but slightly malleable mass, no smell, so I don't think we're fermenting yet. I've been putting some apple cider vinegar in her water. Her poop is mostly liquid, maybe a little bit of brown after our massages. Would stool softeners help? What kind of stool softeners would help? I have an organic senna/camomile tea, and milk of magnesia. I have no idea if those are chicken safe. I'm also looking at how to make a crop bra. I've been diligently massaging her, she seems to really like it, she falls asleep, but it doesn't seem to help as much. Any tips and advice to get this thing moving?? She isn't lethargic and is pretty alert and active, so I hope to help her before it gets really bad.
Lots and lots of water and chunks of frozen coconut oil has is what I try first. I massage once the water has been given.
This article may help you when it comes to getting lots of water into her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
This is a good article on crop disorders in general. A stool softner is recommended in the article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
As mentioned in the crop disorders article, such disorders are often symptomatic of other not so obvious problems so be aware that you may be treating the symptoms but not the cause. Ime crop disorders have been symptomatic of reproductive system issues.

Good advice by @Shadrach above.

The only thing I'm looking at is - did you give undiluted Oregano Oil? I would stick with the coconut oil.

NO Milk of Magnesia.

Give it some time with the coconut oil and massage to see if that helps before try a bunch of other things. An impacted/boggy crop can take a couple of days (maybe more) to get cleared.

Can you post a photo of her? Is it Pendulous too or just full? If it's really Pendulous, then she may also benefit from a Crop Bra, the following article shows you how to make one down at the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Lots and lots of water and chunks of frozen coconut oil has is what I try first. I massage once the water has been given.
This article may help you when it comes to getting lots of water into her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
This is a good article on crop disorders in general. A stool softner is recommended in the article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
As mentioned in the crop disorders article, such disorders are often symptomatic of other not so obvious problems so be aware that you may be treating the symptoms but not the cause. Ime crop disorders have been symptomatic of reproductive system issues.
Crop disorders being symptomatic of reproductive issues makes a lot of sense.... she is 9 months old and has only laid 3 eggs. She doesn't lay eggs,and 2 of the 3 were soft shelled.

Good advice by @Shadrach above.

The only thing I'm looking at is - did you give undiluted Oregano Oil? I would stick with the coconut oil.

NO Milk of Magnesia.

Give it some time with the coconut oil and massage to see if that helps before try a bunch of other things. An impacted/boggy crop can take a couple of days (maybe more) to get cleared.

Can you post a photo of her? Is it Pendulous too or just full? If it's really Pendulous, then she may also benefit from a Crop Bra, the following article shows you how to make one down at the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Yes, about the magnesia, turns out laxatives are a no go,I thought laxatives and stool softeners were the same, I was wrong. I don't have coconut oil, so I'll use olive oil. Maybe I can get a video of her getting a massage, she doesn't stay still for pictures.

I know this is late to the game but I found olive oil and garlic water in a dropper followed by a dropper or 2 of red wine, massaged into crop. With hold food until crop clears. Then feed organic plain Greek yogurt with organic oats mixed in. Continue red wine for a few days....I had a chicken near death an another just starting...both saved.mmcures sour crop

Back
Top Bottom