Impacted crop cleared - what next?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mangobingo, Aug 17, 2013.

1. mangobingo

mangobingo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I came back from a trip on Thursday night to find one of my hens, an Australorp around 3 years old, sitting around and acting generally lethargic. On Friday morning I put her in a straw-filled box for closer observation and to separate her from the rest of the flock, and found that she had very runny, cream-coloured diarrhoea with green btis that may have been undigested grass/leaves. After searching the internet I checked her crop and sure enough, it was rock hard like a golf ball. Massaging the crop seemed to clear the blockage, but I'm not sure what to do next. The bird is clearly still not acting healthy, and her crop seems to have some liquid and "bits" inside it (although it's not large or swollen or anything).

She's just done a more solid-looking dropping and has started drinking a bit on her own (previously she was just taking a tiny bit when I held water to her beak). I don't think she's eaten in at least a couple of days. What else should I do for her? I don't *think* she has sour breath, but to be honest it's hard to tell because I have one arm in plaster right now and can't maneouvre her well. I'm not sure whether to try to empty the crop, because could the liquid be the water she must desperately need by now?

I'll very much appreciate it if you can help. I can't drive out to get ACV, yoghurt or other things I've heard might help, but maybe I could ask a neighbour to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by