Impacted crop, need help!

How is he?

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If you do, then I'd consider dosing him.
He’s soso, I think he aspirated a tad from this mornings crop emptying, I got a ton out and he’s been a little gurgly. Don’t worry, I won’t be emptying him any more, just massages to get any air out and keep things moving. I’m glad I got the grass out. He seems to be moving water out of his crop better. He drank the molasses water this evening. He has plain water(he has had poultry nutri-drench in the water) and soaked feed for the night. I’ll treat with the Miconozole tomorrow. And all follow up with probiotics after that treatment. I do have some penicillin on hand and can give him a treatment of that.
That’s my treatment plan so far. 😅 Feel free to critique it.

He’s soso, I think he aspirated a tad from this mornings crop emptying, I got a ton out and he’s been a little gurgly. Don’t worry, I won’t be emptying him any more, just massages to get any air out and keep things moving. I’m glad I got the grass out. He seems to be moving water out of his crop better. He drank the molasses water this evening. He has plain water(he has had poultry nutri-drench in the water) and soaked feed for the night. I’ll treat with the Miconozole tomorrow. And all follow up with probiotics after that treatment. I do have some penicillin on hand and can give him a treatment of that.
That’s my treatment plan so far. 😅 Feel free to critique it.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
I'd see what develops by morning, hopefully the flush will help push out any remaining material that is causing a blockage.

Is his poop still that green and yellow? See what it looks like in the morning and if he's improved.
Penicillin would not be my first choice, but sometimes you have to go with what you have too. It *should* treat Enteritis if that's part of the problem. That poop is throwing me...Enteritis, worms, coccidiosis and bile all come to mind at the same time.
Anyway, if he's going down in the morning, then I'd consider giving the meds to see if they make a difference.

Sounds like a good plan to me.
I'd see what develops by morning, hopefully the flush will help push out any remaining material that is causing a blockage.

Is his poop still that green and yellow? See what it looks like in the morning and if he's improved.
Penicillin would not be my first choice, but sometimes you have to go with what you have too. It *should* treat Enteritis if that's part of the problem. That poop is throwing me...Enteritis, worms, coccidiosis and bile all come to mind at the same time.
Anyway, if he's going down in the morning, then I'd consider giving the meds to see if they make a difference.
It’s still that dark green and yellowish urate. He was treated for coccidiosis a week prior to the deworming a month ago. I had a bird in the pen that was leaving bloody tissue poops on the poop board so I treated everyone for 5 days for coccidiosis(we live in a VERY wet environment in the PNW). Every ones poops have been looking great since the coccidiosis treatment and the deworming and through the feed change. (I dewormed because I saw a round worm). They always have access to grit, and a large grassy area to run.
I HAVE had a strange bacterial infection((bird sent to state lab for confirmation) run through my flock a couple times but they have always had drooling and lesions (it looks like canker but isn’t) in their mouth. It usually crops up after a flooding of our runs. Treatment was penicillin. He’s not showing the typical symptoms of that infection other then the poop color. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen it and I culled anyone that contracted it to breed forward resistance to it 😬
I can get something else at the feed store? I have to stop there tomorrow anyway.

Here is a picture of the last 24hr poops. I change his towel every morning.
One poop isn’t shown but looks like the rest.
0086D054-6D2B-416A-BF66-EAD33205F373.jpeg

You may not be able to find anything different at the feed store.

If he's not improved today, then I'd use the Penicillin since you have had used it in the past with good results.

Still no change. I put him in a small prefab coop I had empty with a hen I was going to pair him with this year. Hoping to give him something to live for and get him moving a bit. How long can he go without eating but a bite or 2? He picked at his soaked feed and some cottage cheese and an egg yolk I gave him, drank a bunch of water+ nutri-drench. He still gets air trapped in his crop and when I massage it, it escapes. I still feel those hard round grains in his crop. Poop looks the same. Gurgling stopped, his crow sounds okay but not his normal intensity. Comb has been looking a touch darker red. Not purple. Just darker red. Not sure why.
0BDA679C-B86E-499A-8A9D-6CACFC643599.jpeg
It’s day 2 of penicillin injections and miconazole and I was really hoping for more improvement. ☹️

Is he getting up and moving around some?

I'd finish up the meds and see what happens.
Yes, he’s slowly walking around with tail drooped, wings are loose but not droopy yet. He doesn’t sit down, even in the kennel. If I push him down then he would stay down for a bit. But always standing.
When I placed him in the little coop, he picked at the ground, drank some water, ate a teeny tiny bit. Crop is fluid filled and full feeling. He seemed to like being out with a hen. he stayed pretty chill other then letting out a couple crows. I’m not sure what else I can do other then do crop surgery and open it up to see if something is blocking the crop. It feels pretty empty other then being filled with water.

He doesn’t look good this morning. Comb is dark, breathing is slow and deep. He’s sitting and closing his eyes often. 😔 Not looking good for him. If/when he passes I’ll be opening him up. The hen he’s with has been super sweet to him, she just sits next him 💔

Edited to add:
He still eats a bite or 2 of things though. He ate 2 live mealworms, and a bite of cottage cheese all on his own. I DON’T feel the small whole grains in his crop anymore. That’s good! Crop is big and fluid filled still. Poop looks the same.
WHAT AM I MISSING???

Thankfully I still have this cock’s son but he’s not better type wise than his father.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom