Impacted crop or wry neck??

fiberdrunk

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Hi, we hatched a batch of coturnix quail on August 7th. 8 days later, 2 of them developed this condition where they can't hold their heads up. There's a bulge on the left side of their throats. I was thinking it was an impacted crop. I can feel little lumps inside that are probably the Purina Game Bird Crumbles. I sprinkled some whole flax seeds on their feed in hopes it might lubricate things. Also, my husband has been giving vitamin E gel capsules twice daily (or trying to... it's hard to get it into their beaks!) We put a little raw apple cider vinegar in their water when this came on.

Any advice? They are still active and trying to eat.

ETA: For the first week I blended the crumbles in the blender, so they were eating powder. When we ran out, my husband put the crumbles in (not powder)-- he says quail #1 had this condition before he added the crumbles on day 7. I watched quail #2 develop it before my eyes after eating crumbles on day 8. Is this the culprit? The other quail in the batch are fine so far. We did sprinkle some parakeet grit onto the feed on day 8. I'm going back to blending the crumbles for now.

1660839750945.jpeg

1660839779730.jpeg

1660839822471.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom