Impacted crop/surgery

mammat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
columbus ohio
One of our Chickens -Drama, has had an impacted crop for several days. We have tried the yogurt, the induced vomiting by hanging her upside down and olive oil. I finally found a farm/exotic vet 50 miles away who would see her today. He basically gave her a gastric lavage of 30 cc of water,some preventative wormer and said that was all he could do. When I asked about surgery he and his partner both said that the crop does not heal well. It is smooth muscle and just doesnt grow back correctly. Hopefully she will get better but after reading on this site for a week I thought I should post about this. It seems alot of people are during surgery on these girls(while they are awake) and most of them die. Before doing surgery on a live animal you might want to check with a vet. I am a RN and certainly will not be doing a surgery on her that 2 experienced vets will not do. I think the pics of these kitchen table surgeries are cool but I really do not think that it should be advised. I will not let her starve to death or die from an infection. If anyone has any other ideas (that dont involve surgery) please let me know. She is our favorite chicken and beloved pet.
Thanks!

I'm going through the same ordeal with our favorite polish rooster! Here's what we're doing.... I'll post ya the link, only we're using mineral oil. I think its starting to work, it seems to have loosed up a bit, I can't really notice anything yet size wise, but we did just start the treatment last night... Heres the link... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=294963&p=2 its the 3rd post down, on page 2... It should put you on page 2. If you try this, let me know how it's working for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
fl.gif

Thanks for the ideas. The vet told me I could put the mineral oil in peanut butter with a 2 to one ratio to get her to eat it. She is just getting bigger and bigger. I keep massaging her crop but it looks worse and worse. What happens to them? Do they explode or what?

We had to put Drama down today. After blood work, poop tests,x ray and attempted crop evacuation under sedation her crop was just too bad and the vet said that he could not operate because she was too thin and she wouldnt tolerate it. Very sad day for us.

Back
Top Bottom