Impacted crop?

Ih8mozzies

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) -> Ancona, 8 months, thin.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. -> late March just drinking, not moving very much. Treated with antibiotics for cold (was very wet before). Then last week, sitting with closed eyes, lifting neck up like trying to swallow, not as friendly. Felt and has a large crop. no smell
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? -> 3 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? -> no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. -> no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. -> antibiotics? Cold? Grass clippings added to run?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. -> Been in isolation for 5 days. Not eating.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. -> Poo is dark green leaves. Or watery.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? -> Water and coconut oil with massage. Then last two days, been feeding her live maggots. Still a large squishy lump which I can feel little stones in when I massage.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? -> Want to know whether I keep massaging (up to day 5). She seems more herself but not eating (feeding scrambled egg today).
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. -> will try. 25 March picture. Today picture.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use -> Eglu coop with four metre run on deep litter system (but will not add grass clippings in future!)

Do I keep massaging? This seems to be a lot longer than other posts mention. Still no smell to indicate sour crop. There was mould in feed tube - but no other chickens are ill. Special Vet charges just for the appointment and it is three times what I paid for chicken but I feel guilty for not going.

Any advice?
tempImageXsmjZP.png
tempImagekqinFY.png

Welcome To BYC!
Is she laying eggs?

I would treat as for Sour Crop. Take a look inside her beak to make sure there's no lesions or canker.
You mention you treated with antibiotics for "cold"? Was this a respiratory issue what were the symptoms?

I would offer her a wet mash of feed or bits of scrambled egg to see if she will eat some normal food.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Just an update - I gave the miconozale (Daktarin for oral thrush here in Australia), maggots, garlic water and kefir yoghurt for four days. No change. So I have put her back in the run (separated). She is happily scratching around. I suspect it is something more now. Will speak to a vet on Wednesday hopefully. Will keep up with the Daktarin until tube is empty.

Back
Top Bottom