Impacted crop

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
There is an article on doing surgery on an impacted crop in this month's Backyard Poultry magazine. Since this is a common thing to happen and with most of us not having aviary vets available to us it is a must read. It does not go into enough detail to save your chicken but jeaucamom has an excellent post to back up the article here. Not for the feint at heart but this is necessary information if we are to raise chickens.

sorry, Helen, I just saw your post, Let me look it up for you..... Gail Damerow..says "Gail Damerow is a well-known poultry expert and author of many books including these on poultry: Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens."
Now if this isn't a validation of jeaucamom, then I don't know what is?

Last edited:
Yep, I used to have one of her books, the chicken health handbook.
I found the book to be too clinical for me and alot of the diseases arent common in Australia but I remember alot of the important parts that are relative to small scale poultry keeping.
Shes a remarkable lady.
I wonder if Gail ever reads this forum?
We will have to invite her here!!!
She would have fun with us wouldnt she!!

I would be operating on my impacted crop pullet right now if I was sure I wouldn't kill her. I will most likely have to cook her for dinner this weekend. :|

jenichick, at the risk of sounding crass....if you are going to kill her anyway...isn't it worth the risk of doing the surgery??? Just asking?? jeaunamom's step-by-step directions are here near the top. The thread is locked but there for educational purposes. If you think you can't really do the surgery thing, then that is understandable. I would have to psych myself up to do it myself.
th.gif

thanks for mentioning the article and also the post about the procedure again. even though it was stickied i honestly hadn't "seen" it.

Back
Top Bottom