Impacted crop?

chicchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Eastern Massachusetts
Hi,
I just went out to close the coop door and I noticed that my NN looked "husky". Just where her naked neck ends and her feathers start on her chest, is a stretched sack about the size of a small orange! It is a bit squishy. I do not think it was there yesterday. The neighbor girl came by today and gave the hens raw rice. (????!!) Could that have caused this? Is it impacted crop?
Please send any and all advice - I love this little hen, Coco Chanel!
Thanks!

Its just the crop being full, its ok, It will be gone by morning, It happens to my chicks every time they pig out.
lol.png

Do NOT allow your neighbors to feed your chickens uncooked rice. It can kill them. I'd try to give her some olive oil, either by offering small breads crumbs soaked in the oil, or chick starter crumbles soaked in the oil. If it were me, I'd keep her inside and quiet tonight, with plenty of water.

OK, I just gave her a bit of torn up bread soaked in olive oil. I also took a quick feel around the coop (only 4 girls) and felt one other with a small bulge.
Thanks for your help!

It is down to about ping pong ball size. I can feel the grains of rice in there. (grrr!!!) I'll follow up with a bit more oil soaked bread, isolated and lots of water.

Quote:
Just wondering how your chicken is doing today? Mine is about the same and it's day 3. Getting a little worred now. I'm giving her ACV in water but she's definitely hungry, so I offered her some plain yogurt with olive oil mixed in and she scarfed that down. I've got her in a dog crate in our bedroom. Just don't know what else to do, if anything...

Back
Top Bottom