Impacted crops, 3 days old. Yikes!

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
Nearly ALL of my 3-day-old chicks have impacted crops. They have been eating starter food and nothing else (New Country Organics mixed with some non-GMO DuMor starter pellets). I'm wondering if the pellets could be the problem? Also, I was not providing chick grit -- thought that it wasn't necessary with the starter food, but I might have been wrong? I'm also wondering if they might have eaten little pieces of wood shavings? (I introduced just a little bit of that to the brooder yesterday; they had been on dog pee-pee pads before that.)

Please advise on this strategy: Remove food and wood chips, gently massage, and provide only water until their crops clear. Is that correct? Would it be a mistake to give them grit before the crops clear or? Should I give them olive oil as well?

All of them are racing around and eating as though they have no problem, but I know it's important to act quickly.

Thanks so much for any wisdom!

How can you tell they are impacted? the pellets could be too large for them, you can run it through a food processor to crumble it (or put it in a plastic sack and beat it with a rolling pin). or feed it as a mash.
If it is pellets, I'm not sure massage would help.
They could have nibbled the shavings but I wouldn't think so many would have.

How can you tell they are impacted? the pellets could be too large for them, you can run it through a food processor to crumble it (or put it in a plastic sack and beat it with a rolling pin). or feed it as a mash.
If it is pellets, I'm not sure massage would help.
They could have nibbled the shavings but I wouldn't think so many would have.
They have what looks like a swelling on the right lower sides of their necks. In some extreme cases, there is bare skin in those areas because it is being stretched. I've been searching the message boards and looking at photos trying to diagnose it, and what I am seeing with the chicks seems to match the photos others have posted.

Am I overly hopeful to think that water will soften/dissolve any pellets? They have only water tonight; hoping it will clear soon so they can eat again. Great idea to smash the pellets smaller, or perhaps I will save them until they are a bit bigger. The pellets are reasonably small, but the sizing is inconsistent.

Any photos? I think it's less likely that they're impacted (and more harmful to treat them for impacted crops if they don't have it), and more likely that they're gluttonous little pigs that are stuffing their tummies to the brim.

Here's a way to know for sure. Remove the feed overnight (or at least for several hours, if overnight makes you nervous) and see if the crops begin shrinking down. If yes, then they're just eating a lot, not impacted.

I wouldn't feed babies pellets, crumble is a better size for them. You can soak pellets in water or crush them to make them easier for chicks to eat, though my chicks typically aren't willing to eat wet feed until a little older.

I do offer grit immediately. I know my chicks eat their bedding. I've never had issue with impacted crops in chicks.

Any photos? I think it's less likely that they're impacted (and more harmful to treat them for impacted crops if they don't have it), and more likely that they're gluttonous little pigs that are stuffing their tummies to the brim.

Here's a way to know for sure. Remove the feed overnight (or at least for several hours, if overnight makes you nervous) and see if the crops begin shrinking down. If yes, then they're just eating a lot, not impacted.

I wouldn't feed babies pellets, crumble is a better size for them. You can soak pellets in water or crush them to make them easier for chicks to eat, though my chicks typically aren't willing to eat wet feed until a little older.

I do offer grit immediately. I know my chicks eat their bedding. I've never had issue with impacted crops in chicks.
Ha! I reckon the gluttonous little pigs part is spot on. 😂They have been eating like mad, and drinking well. Come to think of it, the larger starter (DuMor) is probably more like crumble, but does still seem a bit large. I was trying to get them used to either mash or crumbles, as I don't know which form the friends adopting some of them will feed them.

I will try to get photos in the morning as they are all bedded down for the night. They do now have play sand for grit (what I had on hand) and a little, low-sided jar lid with coconut oil in it on top of the brooder plate (topped with a light sprinkle of sand/grit for interest). Is the oil OK to use? I can only imagine what sort of mess that will be when they step in it. Ugh.

I will try to get photos in the morning as they are all bedded down for the night. They do now have play sand for grit (what I had on hand) and a little, low-sided jar lid with coconut oil in it on top of the brooder plate (topped with a light sprinkle of sand/grit for interest).

I wouldn't leave them with the oil unless it actually becomes necessary (I can only imagine the mess it'd make).

As far as grit, here's some measurements as far as what to aim for:
grit2.png

What kind of heat source are you using? If it's a heat lamp, they'll continue eating at night, so don't be surprised if they have enlarged crops when you check on them in the morning. Conversely, chicks raised with true day/night cycles will stop eating at night, so it'll be easier to check if their crops have emptied overnight.

All is well this morning! Guess they are just little piggies as you suspected, Rosemarythyme. They have a brooder plate with a tiny red nightlight (so they can find their way back to it) and do sleep a lot of the night.

So relieved! I will pick up some chick grit ASAP. Of course, they are pigging out again this morning...

Thank you so much! I'm so grateful for the wonderful, helpful and wise folks on this board. 😊

Back
Top Bottom