Impacted crops

katiemac

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Help!
I just had two chickens die from impacted crops. (At least that's what I'm suspecting)
I'm fairly new at having backyard chickens. I've been taking advice from my dad who had chickens when he grew up. And he's never had this problem.

They always have fresh water and food and are let out to graze occasionally. I feed them laying crumble and incorporate grit by tossing some on the ground in the pen.

I just don't know why their crops are getting impacted or souring.

Help!
I just had two chickens die from impacted crops. (At least that's what I'm suspecting)
I'm fairly new at having backyard chickens. I've been taking advice from my dad who had chickens when he grew up. And he's never had this problem.

They always have fresh water and food and are let out to graze occasionally. I feed them laying crumble and incorporate grit by tossing some on the ground in the pen.

I just don't know why their crops are getting impacted or souring.
Impacted crop is different than Sour crop.

Impacted crop can be caused by a number of things including ingesting tough grasses, sawdust, straw, even gorging themselves on foods.

An impacted crop can go sour tho, I think, becoming infected with bacteria and or fungus/yeast.

Why so you think you birds died from this.....need more info.
Was a necropsy preformed?

Back
Top Bottom