Okay, that's exactly why I didn't want to vomit her and I'm glad you think it may work despite it. I did notice it slightly squishier this morning and the large mass that was there seems to have broken up (so possibly a good sign!). I will be sure to give her the full days of treatment. She's been getting scrambled egg each day (she doesn't seem to like the wet feed!) and she stays in a cage during the day under the barn where the other hens hang out since it's so hot. At night I let her out to go roost with everyone which she loves. Thank you so much for your help and I'll be sure to keep you updated and if I have any more questions.
Sounds like a good plan! Her roosting with everyone is very good.

Crop issues can take days/weeks to resolve, just keep working it. A lot of times those symptoms are related to another issue - for me, my hens that have crop symptoms also have reproductive problems.

Crop issues can take days/weeks to resolve, just keep working it. A lot of times those symptoms are related to another issue - for me, my hens that have crop symptoms also have reproductive problems.
I don't doubt she has an underlying issue- she's an older hen. We definitely haven't given up on her yet! As long as she's fighting, we will too.

I suppose all the inactive ingredients in the cream won't hurt her any? I just feel funny about putting this into her mouth, but I know plenty of other people have done it with success!

Just an update to see if you have any additional advice- we have been treating with her about 1/2 to 1 inch of Miconazole (100mg cream, 2%) two times a day. I have not noticed any improvement besides the white spots in her beak disappearing. I assume they were yeast related. However, her lump in her crop is still present. She is getting egg to eat along with the occasional mixture of electrolyte/probiotic/vitamin and mineral water. The lump in her crop definitely presents as doughy crop, as it is an obvious lump until massaged with some water where it then almost disappears/molds into whatever shape you massage it into. Is there something else we need to try since this cream doesn't seem to be helping? I'll finish out her 7 days of this, but I was wondering if there was something else to try. She's still in great spirits and as feisty as ever.

I would try giving 1 stool softener to see if that helps break up what's in there.
We ended up not giving her the stool softener because when we got home, the lump was gone! In its place was a squishy crop. I would assume it turned into sour crop, but that seems like it was awfully fast considering the lump was there at 6 A.M. but gone by 6 P.M. She got a slightly larger dose of her Miconazole both yesterday and this morning. I will say, however, that when I gently massage her crop to see how it feels, it no longer gurgles and burps like it did when that lump was in there. Is it possible that her crop feels squishy because it's finally empty and stretched out? I have no clue. She has today and tomorrow before she's had her 7 days of cream and I'm not sure what steps to take next.

The lump being gone is sounds good!

I would finish out the sour crop treatment. Encourage her to drink and give her wet feed with some egg as a treat. No scratch, no greens/veggies - nothing else that will be hard to process. Do make a bit of grit available to her.

Is she pooping? What's that like now is it firming up?

Are you giving coconut oil or just the cream?

The lump being gone is sounds good!

I would finish out the sour crop treatment. Encourage her to drink and give her wet feed with some egg as a treat. No scratch, no greens/veggies - nothing else that will be hard to process. Do make a bit of grit available to her.

Is she pooping? What's that like now is it firming up?

Are you giving coconut oil or just the cream?
Alright, sounds good. We will definitely finish out the treatment. She's been getting some egg and I'll try to see if she wants to eat wet feed this evening. She hasn't been the biggest fan of that. I've let her out with her flockmates during the day because there's not much that she can eat that she shouldn't and with it being so hot, they just hang out most of the day anyway. This evening, I'll get her some grit, wet feed, and egg. She has water all day that she can drink from. Last time I specifically noticed her pooping, it was a couple days ago and still pretty liquidy. It had a lot of white in it. I'll see if I can't notice one of her poops this evening so I can let you know. She's currently only getting the cream. Would the coconut oil be helpful to add for sour crop?

Alright, sounds good. We will definitely finish out the treatment. She's been getting some egg and I'll try to see if she wants to eat wet feed this evening. She hasn't been the biggest fan of that. I've let her out with her flockmates during the day because there's not much that she can eat that she shouldn't and with it being so hot, they just hang out most of the day anyway. This evening, I'll get her some grit, wet feed, and egg. She has water all day that she can drink from. Last time I specifically noticed her pooping, it was a couple days ago and still pretty liquidy. It had a lot of white in it. I'll see if I can't notice one of her poops this evening so I can let you know. She's currently only getting the cream. Would the coconut oil be helpful to add for sour crop?
If she's pooping ok then the coconut oil may not be needed, but it does have some anti-fungal properties, as well as, helps to move things along if there's a partial blockage.

If she doesn't like wet feed, that's ok, just make sure she's drinking well.

Her not gurgling and burping is good though.

Update for anyone who wanders across this, because I know people always disappear and never update! Her squishy crop went away after a day or so and she's been able to eat normally without having emptying issues. I have yet to try to take the bra off her to see if she can do it completely alone, but I'll take her not having issues for now!

Back
Top Bottom