impacted gizzard in pekin duck

ShadowQuackers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
hey,
So i let the ducks out of the coop and one did not want to come out. I checked inside and then chased out the duck - they are all about 8 weeks old- and noticed that the pekin would not walk normal or reach down to drink from the pool. She keeps her neck tucked in tight so I gave her water in a bucket that she could reach without leaning down and looked it up. I think she has an impacted gizzard. I felt her chest and that of my other pekin and noticed that she had a golf ball size knot in her chest.

So inside to the tub she went and all the water she can drink with niacin in it. I tried giving her mashed up muck food but she does not want it. and now i am not sure about giving her any food in case it just backs up more in her gizzard. I do not know what she ate to impact herself. I think it is either straw bedding or duckling food without water - they spill their water all the time and im not sure.

There are no vets in the area to take her to. And there is no way I am willing to try doing the surgery myself.

I am now on Day number 3. the knot is smaller - more the size of a cherry tomato but not gone. She is pooping 4 or 5 times a day that i can tell. It appears to be a bright green liquid and has browner harder spots in it.

Any ideas or a better method to try?
How long can ducks go without food?
Should I put her back out with the other ducks?

Any ideas or a better method to try?

How long can ducks go without food?

Should I put her back out with the other ducks?

Just saw this.

I would get some poultry Nutri Drench for calories, I would put a little coconut oil in some warmed water - not too warm, but coconut oil liquifies in the 70˚F range, I think, something to lubricate - it is also nutritious. Keep her drinking, sounds like she may be passing it. You could try making some kind of smoothie, very liquified, for nutrition that would not add to the blockage.

Bright green liquid is often a sign of internal problems, though I don't know exactly what causes that. @Speceider may be able to answer that.

this is her poop.

A few notes - if she has swallowed something metal, then some kind of chelating agent to bind the metal while it is in her system would be a minimum. Charcoal - the food-grade, activated charcoal supplements - binds to toxins, and you may want to get her on that for a while in any case. As long as you do not use too much she should be fine - it will constipate them if you use too much, here are three recipes that are handy to have. I would not try a flush at this point.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Back
Top Bottom