Impacted Goose

MandaE2015

Chirping
Mar 24, 2017
I have a 19 year old gander that seems to be impacted. Upon the advice of some other goose owners, I gave them a bale of hay to entertain themselves for the winter and I'm afraid he may have eaten too much. He is keeping his head drawn back towards his back and his esophagus is quite large. Yesterday I gave him 10cc of mineral oil three times and withheld food and water. This morning, I put him into the tub to let him swim and drink and then offered watered down mashed peas, grit and water with electrolytes with probiotics. He is separated from his flock, which seems to be an issue because it is stressing him out and he doesn't seem interested in eating or drinking much, so I may bring in another to keep him company this afternoon. On top of all of this, he doesn't see well, so he has trouble finding food and water unless guided by the others. I did try massaging the crop area, but his feathers are so thick, it is difficult to feel much. He is now mostly pooping just liquid (as that is all he has taken), though he was pooping grainy, loose poops yesterday and normal the day before. I don't have a veterinarian super close that will see geese, but there is one an hour and a half away that I will call if no improvement soon. Has anyone seen anything like this or successfully dealt with it?

Attachments

• 20201217_154412.jpg
    20201217_154412.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201217_114657.jpg
    20201217_114657.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201217_114651.jpg
    20201217_114651.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 7
keep him on a liquid diet until he wants to eat solids with free access to water, he has a sprawled stance which I’ve only seen in two of my geese when they have awful stomach aches so he may be impacted further down in his intestines too.

@Miss Lydia Have you seen anything like this?

keep him on a liquid diet until he wants to eat solids with free access to water, he has a sprawled stance which I’ve only seen in two of my geese when they have awful stomach aches so he may be impacted further down in his intestines too.

@Miss Lydia Have you seen anything like this?
Ok, will do. I've only had him since this summer, but I suspected he had some digestive issues then (though I didn't know the sprawled stance indicated anything - I thought this was just normal for him). I think now its just coming to a head.

If he’s been dealing with issues for awhile there could be a bigger underlying cause, a vet is probably the best option at this point.
The leg thing I’ve seen in my birds has been when one of my girls gets stressed or upset and she gets terrible stomachs aches that go away when she’s calmed down and with my 8 year old gander who has dealt with pancreatitis off and on. That’s what it looks like your gander is doing but there could be other things going on too.

@Isaac 0 might have some better advice

Impaction of the gastrointestinal system is serious, so if you're not seeing any improvement with mineral oil, seeing a vet would likely grant a better prognosis. If the vet isn't familiar with birds, and you're out of luck, my next suggestion would be trying to get some Dulcolax in him and try massaging the crop area a few times a day. Making sure he stays hydrated is vital as well.

We have a vet about an hour and a half away that will see geese. We've only been to him once before and I only talked to his techs (couldn't go in because of Covid), but something is better than nothing, so I'll give him a call. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom