Impacted/Sour/Any ideas?

BreakneckRedneck

Chirping
Jun 27, 2022
Hi all! Hope everyone is well. Hoping to find some answers regarding my sweet hen Cheeseburger. She seems to be having some crop issues, but I can’t decide if it’s impacted/sour/some other mystery thing. It’s fluctuated in size the past few days, but has always been too full too early in the morning. She is behaving like normal, and still walks around and interacts with the flock normally. Drinks water normally and eats some, but not a lot. Her comb is a bit paler than usual. We have massaged her crop a few times and it has kind of a dough-like consistency. Her poops have been regular, but watery and a bit green. I have not noticed any foul smell from her mouth. And whatever the issue is, it is not regarding eggs, as she is “broken” and has never laid in her life (3 or so years old). I’m just confused as to what’s going on, and would like to help her as best I can as soon as I can. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    757.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5521.jpeg
    IMG_5521.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
You can try a crop bra and see if that helps. That article mentioned has a description on how to make one.

I have a couple hens that have slow moving crops. It seems to go up and down in severity and need attention periodically.

I also have a hen who has recurring crop troubles. She has a borderline pendulous crop, and I didn’t realise that I wasn’t giving her big enough sized grit so she’s been eating little rocks which I think has delayed her digestion and caused slow crop which can become yeasty quickly.

I usually give some fennel tea and massages in the morning and evening. Sometimes she needs to wear a crop bra for a few days to help. If it doesn’t resolve, the anti fungal treatment with the cream or pessaries is good.

As for the droppings, maybe someone else can comment with more authority. I would treat the crop first and see if there is improvement.

You can separate and fast her if she’s okay with that. I only do that if the hen seems really unwell/lethargic/fluffed up. Otherwise I treat in the mornings before I let them out and in the evenings at roosting time and let them go about their regular business during the day.

Back
Top Bottom