Impacted/sour crop

Lovem all

Songster
Jul 29, 2020
I have rescued mallard baby ducks, they are a getting bigger and have their pretty blues in their wings and quack. One of them seems to have an impacted or sour crop. It's going on 3 days. She's also holding her one wing lower as she becomes weaker.

I'm going to predict this thread is going to become quite confusing since there will be a discussion on three birds in one place. Would you mind posting a thread on the duck forum regarding the duckling, and start off by answering these questions?

How does their crop feel? What are they being fed? Could you post a few pictures or video of the duckling? Is she producing frequent bowel movements, if yes, could you post a few pictures? Has she been fed any treats?

Her crop is hard to find because I'm not a real duck expert yet but it is really hard. I unfortunately have no way to take photos. They have whatever normal young duck feed is (nothin fancy), and its pellets. She is pooping. It's hard to tell cause it disappears in the grass so fast but its dark brown for the most part occasionally greenish. No treats. We want them to fly away so while they are friendly they are not domesticated.

Her crop is hard to find because I'm not a real duck expert yet but it is really hard. I unfortunately have no way to take photos. They have whatever normal young duck feed is (nothin fancy), and its pellets. She is pooping. It's hard to tell cause it disappears in the grass so fast but its dark brown for the most part occasionally greenish. No treats. We want them to fly away so while they are friendly they are not domesticated.

I find it unlikely she has an impacted crop if she's regularly producing stools. Since you can't post a photo, could you try to find one online that best matches her poop? Is she eating, and drinking as much as she usually does?

Duck crops are harder to locate then chickens since they're shaped differently, but if it is indeed impacted, you should be able to feel a hard bulge on the right side of her chest. Have you compared her crop, to the other ones to make sure you're just not mistaken by their anatomy?

Yes I've compared her to the others. Theirs is squish-ish and hers is like a rock. I'm not so sure in her eating and drinking but I know that she isn't as interested in activities and doing stuff with her siblings and they don't give a flying feather about leaving her behind. Also she hasn't been grooming herself.

Yes I've compared her to the others. Theirs is squish-ish and hers is like a rock. I'm not so sure in her eating and drinking but I know that she isn't as interested in activities and doing stuff with her siblings and they don't give a flying feather about leaving her behind. Also she hasn't been grooming herself.

Before we continue, I would like to know if you're able to take her to a vet.

Ideally, you get her to a vet, so if there is indeed a blockage in her digestive tract, they can surgically remove the obstruction. But, since that's not an option, we'll have to opt for a home-treatment, that may or may not help. Let me get back to you later with more details.

I am aware this duck is supposed to be raised as a "wild duck", but it's essential she be brought inside to an area where her behavior /feces can be monitored more easily, and where food and water are near. She will likely be stressed when you separate her, so you may need to bring one/ or the rest of the other ducks in with her so she's not. If you haven't already, I would start weighing her daily on a food scale, so you can properly track her weight.

On occasions, ducklings will ingest abnormal amounts of fibrous material such as grass, wood shaving, sand, etc. Excessive amounts of these materials in the digestive tract can create a blockage which if not cared for may become fatal. As you may have guessed, our ultimate goal here, it promotes the removal of whatever object is blocking her digestive tract.

There are several products that can be used to induce removal of these materials such as Metamucil (psyllium), mineral oil, coconut oil, Epsom salts, etc.

My suggestion would be for you to get her some Metamucil, and mix some in with water to a slightly thick consistency, and give her a few drops orally via an eyedropper, or syringe. In addition, adding electrolytes to her water, to keep her hydrated may be beneficial, as well as massaging her crop to break any "clumps".

Back
Top Bottom