Impaction procedure 1.5 weeks ago, seemed better, now not eating and sleeping a lot

How did the vet visit go?
She's home now. Had anesthesia, xrays, and another intubation unfortunately. Her crop was filling with fluid that was mostly bacteria - so she's on antibiotics and antifungals. (it did not smell like sour crop before they cleared it, but just to kill off anything that might be in there).

We're guessing the new problem will either be due to the first procedure and a follow-on infection or a pendulous crop. I'm working on a crop bra now (she was 10 lbs before the first procedure and now is about 8, so having to do it by hand since she's so big).
She did only have one antibiotic shot after the first intubation because they thought she was going to need crop surgery 2 days later, so we didn't have a longer term one.

We're going to have to tube feed her tomorrow unless the meds help her appetite return by tomorrow.
If not (or maybe even if), we'll do a molasses, electrolyte, medication tube/feed to get things moving; the vet said that may help.

I found some of the forum posts on sour crop, not eating, and what people have made up to tube feed for nutrition, so we'll probably go off one of those.

Maybe it could be something else, but if she was getting a sort of acid reflux/nausea when going to eat anything, we can assume that's what is putting her off.

I hate to continue this thread with a new question, but I'm not sure starting a new one would give the full context.

Lydia is doing okay. She had a massive poop with a mass of grass in it, and is now doing poops (not the best looking but pooping some material), and still doing a terrible job at eating. We're managing to get most of the pills in her without tube feeding, but may try tube feeding to ensure she's getting the rest of the pills and nutrients in her.

She managed to completely clear her crop last night.
But unfortunately we can't do a suggested sour crop diet, unfortunately. She has lost so much weight and is refusing most foods (especially egg and yogurt).
She's only interested in eating peas and corn (sometimes with pills in them), other cut up greens, mealworms, sunflower seeds, molasses/electrolyte water. That being said -she is ravenous, but only for a few things.

Our current concern is she is constantly panting. And at times her face goes pale white.
We've got the A/C on and she's still doing it.
I'm wondering if it's her body struggling to process the food choices or it's from the constipation.
I don't know how worried we should be.

Thank you :)

I'm sorry she's still struggling.

If you can tube feed her, I'd use Kaytee exact baby bird formula for a couple of days to jump start her. Then start offering wet mushy poultry feed to see if she will eat that.

Panting and turning pale is either stress or pain or both. Could be some infection too, hard to know.
It doesn't sound very promising.
Does she feel like she has fluid in her abdomen below the vent between the legs?

I'm sorry she's still struggling.

If you can tube feed her, I'd use Kaytee exact baby bird formula for a couple of days to jump start her. Then start offering wet mushy poultry feed to see if she will eat that.

Panting and turning pale is either stress or pain or both. Could be some infection too, hard to know.
It doesn't sound very promising.
Does she feel like she has fluid in her abdomen below the vent between the legs?
We'll have to make our own formula; shipping will take at least a week to our place for Kaytee.

She did a ton of poops over night and her crop is empty. She is only interested in peas, mealworms, and greens this morning, so going to struggle to get meds into her. We're going to try some tube feeding - probably some electrolytes, higher protein mash and pills. They didn't give us a proper tube feeding kit either, so that's going to be a nightmare.

We'll ask for some more antibiotics and antifungals. I don't know what else to do.

She's brighter than she was. She has more color and is digging her papers. She wants to be outside. Which all seems like a good thing.

My husband said the panting is only occurring at night. Maybe after she eats a fair bit, so maybe her crop/gizzard starts to hurt around then.

She feels like she has a bit of fluid. But I felt that amount about two/three weeks ago when our other chicken had a fluid mass we had looked at (was just broody weight most likely). It hasn't changed. What would a fluid indicate?
She's stopped producing eggs for the time being, based on last week's xrays.

Then I'd also give her the peas, corn, mealworms and greens - provide grit free choice. Not sure if these are canned peas/corn or not, but if they are like what you get in scratch (hard/dry) then soak the peas/corn overnight to help soften them up a bit so they are easier to process.
Sick birds are often keen on certain things, I don't know why, but if they are willing to eat those specific things, then I'm usually willing to give them. I think of it like when you have the flu or even a cold - just certain things you really want to eat/drink, but once back on your feet, you go back to eating normal.
Most hens when they recover from illness, injury, etc. they have no issue with eating their normal feed again.

Can she roost? She may feel a bit more comfortable roosting at night, not sure if that will help with the panting.

Fluid in the abdomen is a symptom called Ascites. The fluid can be from a number of things - usually reproductive disorders (cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc.) and/or organ dysfunction/failure (mostly liver/heart).
A lot of fluid in the abdomen can cause respiratory distress or panting, but so can other things like the crop being too full, being hot, stress, etc.
If it's only happening at night, see if there's something that you can do to help relieve that symptom - roosting, a rolled up towel for her to prop on or something like that.

They love being outside even when the don't feel the best. If possible, on nice days if she can go out for a little while it would be good for her (and you too).

I'm sorry it's been such a battle to get her treated and keep her going. You're doing a wonderful job taking care of her.

Then I'd also give her the peas, corn, mealworms and greens - provide grit free choice. Not sure if these are canned peas/corn or not, but if they are like what you get in scratch (hard/dry) then soak the peas/corn overnight to help soften them up a bit so they are easier to process.
Sick birds are often keen on certain things, I don't know why, but if they are willing to eat those specific things, then I'm usually willing to give them. I think of it like when you have the flu or even a cold - just certain things you really want to eat/drink, but once back on your feet, you go back to eating normal.
Most hens when they recover from illness, injury, etc. they have no issue with eating their normal feed again.

Can she roost? She may feel a bit more comfortable roosting at night, not sure if that will help with the panting.

Fluid in the abdomen is a symptom called Ascites. The fluid can be from a number of things - usually reproductive disorders (cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc.) and/or organ dysfunction/failure (mostly liver/heart).
A lot of fluid in the abdomen can cause respiratory distress or panting, but so can other things like the crop being too full, being hot, stress, etc.
If it's only happening at night, see if there's something that you can do to help relieve that symptom - roosting, a rolled up towel for her to prop on or something like that.

They love being outside even when the don't feel the best. If possible, on nice days if she can go out for a little while it would be good for her (and you too).

I'm sorry it's been such a battle to get her treated and keep her going. You're doing a wonderful job taking care of her.
Thanks so much. That's good to hear about them being picky.
I'm second guessing a lot since she has never been remotely picky before and the vets were very adamant about her being 'better' in like 2 days or she'd need to come back in. But reading more and more on here -it looks like it's going to be 2-3 weeks.
We think she's doing really well, and she'll have some outside time today, but needs to get a few more days of these meds in her and back to normal food before she's out with the competition. We're not even sure if she'll need the crop bra permanently, as it's emptying really well on it's own overnight. Hoping I don't jinx it.

I don't know if she wants to roost, as when she was out last week she would got to bed a few hours early and just sit in the corner and sleep. Some of them sleep on the floor, some roost. We'll try a towel tonight, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom