Impaled wing?

Kimberly13

Chirping
Jul 22, 2014
I went to close the coop/run up tonight and found one of my hens dangling by her wing. It looks like she spooked or jumped up and got the wing stuck on the fence. I held her up and the neighbor cut the fence so we could get her down. It looks like the wing was impaled on the wire, plus dangling time...I don't know how long that was. No more than two hours though. She is a purpley gray random hen from rural king. About a year and a half to two years old. She is normal weight. When I got her down, she stood there and refused to move. I put her inside the coop in a nesting box. She is holding the wing funny...not laying it down to her side. Here are my questions...
1. Do we think the wing is sprained/damaged beyond the obvious hole? If so, do I wrap it/splint it? If yes, then how please?
2. Do I just treat the hole with peroxide and neosporin?
3. Do you think she needs antibiotics?
4. Should I bring her inside? (it's about 48 degrees here tonight)

I hope I gave enough info. If there's anything you can think of that I haven't, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Do bring her inside. Keep her warm to prevent shock. Is she bleeding a lot? Offer water that’s not too cold with some sugar in it. It’s probably her bedtime so maybe run some water over it to clean it, dry it, put Neosporin and leave her alone so she can sleep inside.

Do you have any pictures? Peroxide will work for one time only. I would use chlorhexidene, betadine, saline, or Vetericyn preferrably to clean a wound. Water is acceptible once. Apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the wound. A figure 8 bandage can be applied to a broken wing, or you can leave it alone. A vet is always best with an injury that is serious. She might have broken one of the bones in her wing as she struggled to get free. Nerve damage might be possible. Antibiotics are best obtained from a vet if the bone is visible. Keep her in the house tonight in a crate or basket near food and water.

What would you like pictures of? The wound itself or the wing as a whole? Or both? I can get them tomorrow for you. For now, she is inside, treated with Aluspray because it's what I had handy, and the wing is wrapped so that it is tucked to her side. There are no bones sticking out. Do they throw a fit if they are in pain or are they more stoic? She didn't fight me much.

What would you like pictures of? The wound itself or the wing as a whole? Or both? I can get them tomorrow for you. For now, she is inside, treated with Aluspray because it's what I had handy, and the wing is wrapped so that it is tucked to her side. There are no bones sticking out. Do they throw a fit if they are in pain or are they more stoic? She didn't fight me much.
Both, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom