Impeyan Pheasant questions?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Bosque, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Bosque

Bosque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I had never seen an Impeyan before the post a few down. They are such a beautiful bird. I have been doing some research and it is said that they are noisy. Are they too noisy to have in an urban setting? What does their call sound like? Would you feed and pen an Impeyan the same way as a Ringneck?
    Any other bit of information or a link to an educational web site would be much appreciated.
    Bosque

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    nope not the same as a ringneck...they perch...tend to need more space. they eat about the same though.

Depends on your urban setting I guess...kinda goes with the what folks get away with in terms of chickens

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I do not have any yet, but what I have read they dig more than other pheasant species. The book suggest to place fencing around plants, laying on the soil, that are in the enclosure. This way they cannot dig up the plants. I would think that they would not make as much noise as a rooster or a peacock but more than hens.
    Also I read they need 200+ square feet for a pair, but as always the more room the better.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No they are not noisy at all.And even if they were,their beauty makes them worth every screech.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I raise them and feel that they have a very high pitched squeal especially when spooked. If you have neighbors it may be a problem. I dont recommend them for your climate though, they do better in the east where there is freezing temps and snow...........

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ray Sexton in Arizona raised them for years.But he lived up in the mountains.I believe he got out of pheasants,not positive on that.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by