Importance of Insulating a Coop

I have a very old hen house, not a coop, and the floors and walls are oak boards that have shrunken over the years to leave large gaps in between. One whole wall is open areas covered with wire, as is a large opening in the opposite wall. These I cover with plastic and some of the largest gaps are covered with cardboard boxes laid flat. The pop door is open 24/7 all year round.

These gaps, which I refer to as "adequate ventilation" allow many, many drafts to blow on my chickens while they roost and go about their chickeny lives. They also free range all year and are practically blown across the yard sometimes as they still forage during the winter months, as snow coverage allows. I've never had a sick bird in my flocks. They seem very content and active all winter long, despite my drafty old hen house.

I don't necessarily think the drafts are the problem but the high humidity in some coops caused by being too well insulated, wood shaving bedding and populated by warm, breathing birds each night and day. Put a draft on that coop and I could see some sick birds resulting~ too much fluctuation between warm and cold.

The only concession I make to winter here is to plastic the windows and lay down new deep litter of pine shavings and paper shreds. Since using deep litter, I don't get frost bit combs anymore.

Quote:
In a not especially hugely cold climate like WV I would 100% agree with that. Also, note that it sounds like you do not have *strong* drafts, just general gentle air movement everywhere.

In areas with colder winters, though, I do really think chickens need to be able to get out of *any* meaningful air movement.

(I am posting this only *for* those living in colder areas... it has always sounded to me like your setup is really healthy for your chickens, Bee)

Pat

I did some minor reframing this afternoon to get more ventilation at the top of the coop. I also added the 4th wall. The wall has a 16" x 40" opening with hardware cloth for added ventilation. The whole wall is installed on threaded studs with wingnuts. I'll make a cover that can be installed on the hardware cloth opening to cloe it down if too cold. Also, added a baffle on the inside of the coop to keep the air moving beyond the roost then it opens up and continues out the "ridge vent". Almost like a proper vent.

I'll give it a smell test tomorrow to see how well it is working.

Back
Top Bottom