Important question about broody hen day 18. Please need answer.

arianna

Songster
12 Years
Sep 8, 2010
North Carolina
I have a Partridge Cochin bantam hen on 6 eggs since Feb 21, so today is day 18. This is a first for me and her. Every day I take her out (twice) and let her run around for few minutes. She doesn't leave the nest on her own. She has some food right next to her where she can reach without leaving her eggs right now. She is very skinny and barely eats anything.
My question is:
“Can I still take her of her nest for the next few days since she is so close to her hatch day?“ (I read on BYC forum about incubators and something about lockdown on day 19?)
Second question:
“Should I bring her in the house and put extra heath for her when she hatches?” (right now she is in the main coop with a separation between her and the other chickens)This weekend is supposed to be more warm, but inside the coop is still a little chilly. I use a little blanket to cover her up at night, should I put it on her after she hatches at night to make sure she stays warm with the chicks? It's like a cocoon.

67374_broody_hen_008.jpg

67374_foxy_026.jpg

67374_broody_hen_003.jpg

67374_broody_hen_005.jpg

I would leave her, she will be okay for the last couple of days. She will get off the nest when the babies are out, or maybe get her off the nest only tomorrow, but after that leave her to it. I wouldn't move her, this may break her broodiness. Good luck, she looks really comfy.

I'm in the same boat as you,just 6 days behind you. My little silkie broody was soo tiny to start with. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see what the pro's say we should do...I'm sooo nervous...

I have only seen my broody get off her nest 2 times during my frequent visits but that doesn't mean she doesn't come off the nest to eat and drink at night. I also see a broken egg shell just barely exposed. I think her eggs is due March 18th. She growls at the other chickens for coming close to the fence to peek at her. At least she lets me go in to give her food and water and to talk to her but not to touch her. I got a nasty peck on my finger for even trying to touch her. I would just leave her be. Make sure she has food and water so if she comes out at night to eat and drink it is there for her. This is the first broody I have had that has sat this long. So I am no expert by far. That is a cute blanket on her. I have never seen a blanket directly on a chicken.

Quote:
I put that on her when she first started, because the poor thing was shaking. Now I put it on only at night when it’s cold. That’s actually a bathroom rag. It was the only thing I could find that was warm and small.

I have nothing of value to contribute, having never hatched with a broody, but I just wanted to say that she is a very pretty lady! I love cochins. And your coop is charming. Did you set up the baby gate just to isolate her? Quite clever. I love how resourceful BYC'ers are.

I hope all goes well for both of you!

Don't take her off the eggs. If she needs to get off she'll do it on her own, besides, lifting her off could damage the eggs. Please just let her be these last 48 hours!

I've been a broody hatcher since 2003.
old.gif

You mentioned about her getting cold....It's supposed to be almost 70 degrees here in NC tomorrow and Sunday so she'll be fine in the coop...babies too!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom