Important Question about inside my egg *PIC*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Oct 19, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    So I was checking on my eggs I stored in my fridge and was holding flashlight under them and almost all of them looked like this inside, they werent like this on the day of laying cuz I check them but eggs that laid just a few days ago are like this too, any idea whats wrong and if its a big problem?

[​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Those are porous eggs. All eggs are porous, but those are extra porous which can indicate a calcium deficiency. I have had some extra porous eggs hatch, but the extra porosity may allow more bacteria to enter the egg. If those eggs are for eating only, I say go for it. The dots you're seeing are not inside the egg but are part of the shell.

3. FrankieMcElfresh

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    So does that mean my chickens are not getting enough calcium in their feed?

4. FrankieMcElfresh

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    *ALSO all my eggs are for selling and eating only* I just need to know if this is something bad that could make me or someone else, (im still new to all this)*

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't worry about it if it is just one or two... it can also be age/genetic. Commercial places cull heavily for such things. If you wanted to hatch, they can still make it provided they do not lose too much water.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It's just the way they lay. Continue everything you're doing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by