Important Question about lockdown vs new chick!

applesweets

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
We had our first chick hatch about 8 hrs ago. I know they can can go 48 hrs without food or drink, but she/he wants out so bad and is straining against the side of the incubator, kicking, pecking and jumping against it. I am concerned for it's safety(yes I know, I am probably being paranoid). I know it is lonely too, for everytime it sees us in the viewing window, it jumps up and scampers to the glass to meet us. I am still hopeful that the other egg will hatch, although it has not yet pipped. Humidity is up at 81%. Is it safe to take the chick out of the bator, or should I leave it for longer. I am also concerned that if I wait until the chick NEEDS to come out and the egg has just pipped, I may be putting it in danger of getting shrink wrapped.

I wait a full day. Then, if there are NO other pips, zips or hatching chicks, I would snatch the chick out of the 'bator and into a ready and waiting brooder. Otherwise, if the hatch is active, chicks can stay in there for up to 72 hours.

Ok, that is good advice. Do you think the chick might injure itself or strain itself? It is so strong and active, but it is only cottonballs, cardboard and styrofoam, so nothing hard or dangerous save the thermometer/hygrometer. Also, it seems to be eating little bits of cotton ball, is that ok?

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Went through an air vent with I loong DQ spoon and gently turned the remaining egg over...IT HAS PIPPED!!!! YAY!!!! Couldn't see it because chick number one had turned the egg over. WOOHOO!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom