Imported eggs for broody

MiddleChild

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2011
Eastern Massachusetts
One of my hens got broody and seemed so sad I got her some fertile eggs from a local provider. Later it occurred to me - I have no idea of the health of the other person's flock. Can the eggs carry in disease? I was so paranoid that I wiped them all down briefly with peroxide and dried them before introducing, but wonder if that was a good idea ...

Last edited:
That was a bad idea. You don't wash eggs for hatching. Sadly, I bet that's why they didn't hatch, but incubating eggs is a gamble.
hmm.png

~Aspen

They just went under her last night - no results yet. What's the answer to the basic question: Can outside eggs bring in disease? Even if they look clean?

Normally I don't wash eggs period - no need. My hens and nests are nice and clean.

Last edited:
I think Newcastle can transmit through the egg, but will kill the embryo. Not sure about any other diseases. Also, washing or sanitizing hatching eggs is fine if done properly.

That said, I wouldn't fret. IMO eggs are always safer than chicks or grown birds since most anything that could be wrong would probably keep them from hatching anyway.

Thanks, but my concern is for my hens, not any possible chicks. I wonder if eggs from less-than-ideal conditions can bring diseases to my hens, like dirty hands can spread flu. That's why I cleaned the outsides of the imported eggs - like hand sanitizer. But if the question is this unclear, maybe it's not a concern.

Back
Top Bottom