Importing hatching eggs

tfreeman

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Has anyone ever imported eggs from another country like Australia? If so, was it hard and what are the steps? Also did they hatch?

Thanks.

I started the process. It is not that expensive to get the permits, the vet checks, the custom vet checks.... I spoke to the head vet at the USDA, and she was friendly and helpful.

The big money comes from shipping, because you would want "white glove" handling, as well as overnight shipping.

The USDA has a very good website that explains the process, as well as the countries on the "NO NO" list due to bird flu.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml

Got
to that site, it has all the laws posted about importing there. There's a little more to it than just pulling permits and sending them on. In a lot of cases, they have to be hatched at quarantine facilities and held for up to a months. Some countries can be shipped directly to you, you'll have to look it up.
BUT, in the long run, none of them will ever hatch. Think about how many get scrambled in the postal system just going state to state here, now, imagine an 8,000 mile over seas trip! Would be a total waste of money. If you are planning to import, birds would be a much wiser use of your money, but in all cases you are going to have to pay for them to be quarantined in a USDA facility, @ about $25 a day!

Last edited:
Quote:
What's wrong with an 8,000 mile trip across the ocean? It's the mishandling by people at each stop that has the potential to ruin eggs, not the length of a single plane ride.
smile.png

After talking with someone that has imported birds, expect to pay between $1000 and $1500 per bird when all is said and done. I have heard of people successfully hatching eggs shipped from over seas. Just go through the proper legal channels or the gvt. will come after you.

Quote:
What's wrong with an 8,000 mile trip across the ocean? It's the mishandling by people at each stop that has the potential to ruin eggs, not the length of a single plane ride.
smile.png

The ride itself can be damaging to them.The longer the ride, the more the risk. I have personally drove eggs 1400 miles last year, expertly packed, and the ride with it's mild vibrations and all still damaged some of the air cells.
I got some eggs in last year twice from the UK, all were ruined, so in my PERSONAL experience doing it, it was a total waste of money.
Birds would be the best way to go, and yes in the long run, they are in the $1000's per bird time it's all said an done.

Back
Top Bottom