Importing pet chickens to Canada from USA?

emalin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Sierra Nevada Foothills, California
I couldn't find a good place on the forums for this question, but hope this is ok. We are moving to Toronto from California. We are so in love with our 7 chickens and do not want to leave them behind. I know we will probably have to, but thought I would reach out and see it there might be some hope. Is there any way to import chickens that won't kill the chickens from stress in the process? Thanks.

People do ship animals over long distances pretty regularly, however, it does take lots of care and planning. You could try crates in a plane or else crates in a car and drive there. You can keep just one hen per crate, a couple per crate, or put them all together. Make stops to give them water and make sure they don't over-heat. Make sure they don't slide around and that the ground is easy to grip and comfortable to rest on.

Because of the recent avian flu scare, you might need to get them checked by a vet or something.

I hope you can take them with you. Best of luck!
smile.png

used to be that you needed to have them certified pullarum free,, with paperwork in hand when you crossed the border,,, restrictions may have tightened up some now, so check with Canadian Ag agency

People do ship animals over long distances pretty regularly, however, it does take lots of care and planning. You could try crates in a plane or else crates in a car and drive there. You can keep just one hen per crate, a couple per crate, or put them all together. Make stops to give them water and make sure they don't over-heat. Make sure they don't slide around and that the ground is easy to grip and comfortable to rest on.

Because of the recent avian flu scare, you might need to get them checked by a vet or something.

I hope you can take them with you. Best of luck!
smile.png

Wow thanks for your explanation helped me alot

Back
Top Bottom