Imprinted duck

Kewtq

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
Hi all, I have a call duck that is about 2 months old. We started with 2 , popcorn and butters. They were instantly attached to i and my daughter and unfortunately butters met a very tragic end about a month ago. I feel they were imprinting on me already. When I left they had a fit and had to be with me everywhere. Well now that it's just popcorn the bond is stronger tho I feel if butters didn't die both these ducks would be imprinted. My duck goes out side all day but night time comes and I bring her in. She is very chatty and basically tells you it's time to cuddle. I am afraid to leave her because of our bond and honestly i feel like she would get stressed. This duck is amazing loves too sleep on my lap and especially right up on my chest and peeps softly while giving duck kisses. Sometimes if I'm gone to long she gets so excited she vibrates. Almost like a duck purr too. I basically would like to know since my popcorn is SUPER attached how can I manage to go on vacation and not cause any stress to my duck
What will happen if I leave popcorn for that long ? Here is picture o1f my sweet baby. I can say I have had many ducks and other fowl growing up but nothing like this relationship with popcorn. Any ideas or advice is appreciated, thack you all
Kerensa Jones

Attachments

• 20210609_185200.jpg
    20210609_185200.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210607_161110.jpg
    20210607_161110.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi all, I have a call duck that is about 2 months old. We started with 2 , popcorn and butters. They were instantly attached to i and my daughter and unfortunately butters met a very tragic end about a month ago. I feel they were imprinting on me already. When I left they had a fit and had to be with me everywhere. Well now that it's just popcorn the bond is stronger tho I feel if butters didn't die both these ducks would be imprinted. My duck goes out side all day but night time comes and I bring her in. She is very chatty and basically tells you it's time to cuddle. I am afraid to leave her because of our bond and honestly i feel like she would get stressed. This duck is amazing loves too sleep on my lap and especially right up on my chest and peeps softly while giving duck kisses. Sometimes if I'm gone to long she gets so excited she vibrates. Almost like a duck purr too. I basically would like to know since my popcorn is SUPER attached how can I manage to go on vacation and not cause any stress to my duck
What will happen if I leave popcorn for that long ? Here is picture o1f my sweet baby. I can say I have had many ducks and other fowl growing up but nothing like this relationship with popcorn. Any ideas or advice is appreciated, thack you all
Kerensa Jones
Get her a duck friend.
Are you sure it's a she? Does it quack?

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello Kerensa and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

So sorry for your loss, :hugsDucks are very social and Popcorn needs another duck friend. I usually recommend to people that they should get three or more for this very same reason of losing one. Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)

Sorry for the loss of Butters.

You and Popcorn clearly have a special relationship. I think that's lovely (I have a house chicken). Ducks are, indeed, social creatures and for some critters, people make a decent substitute for their own kind. My Dottie could live outdoors with other chickens, the ducks and geese, but she prefers to live with me, the dogs and the cat.

But, if you want to be able to take a little time away from Popcorn, it would probably be best to get some duck friends for your baby. Even if Popcorn bonds to her own kind, I think she will continue to want to spend time with her "mama."

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom