Imprinting on ducklings

angierfind

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
I was thinking about buying a magpie duckling because I can't find any hatching eggs (they're out of season) but will imprinting only work when they hatch out of the egg and see someone? Or will it work even if they're already been hatched and shipped?

We got our two ducklings at 5 days old, they're maybe not imprinted but they bonded with us straight away, they follow us around and love being cuddled!

We're not too fussed with the distinction between imprinting and bonding, as long as they love us! Which they certainly seem to :)

Ours were factory farmed and kept in a barn with about a hundred other ducklings so it doesn't seem to matter that they weren't hand reared.

If you're only getting one duckling it's likely to bond more strongly with you, even if it's not imprinted. I'm so glad we got two though, they're incredibly close and it's so cute watching the pair of them together.

I think in the long run it's probably less work too, they settle at night no problem and can be left for about an hour at a time during the day to nap - I think if we just had one it would need constant attention to stop it being lonely or scared.

If you're able to lavish all that attention on one baby then I'm sure he or she will be a happily pampered pet :) I'm just really glad we got two!

Here they are snuggled up together by the couch:

We got our two ducklings at 5 days old, they're maybe not imprinted but they bonded with us straight away, they follow us around and love being cuddled!

We're not too fussed with the distinction between imprinting and bonding, as long as they love us! Which they certainly seem to :)

Ours were factory farmed and kept in a barn with about a hundred other ducklings so it doesn't seem to matter that they weren't hand reared.

If you're only getting one duckling it's likely to bond more strongly with you, even if it's not imprinted. I'm so glad we got two though, they're incredibly close and it's so cute watching the pair of them together.

I think in the long run it's probably less work too, they settle at night no problem and can be left for about an hour at a time during the day to nap - I think if we just had one it would need constant attention to stop it being lonely or scared.

If you're able to lavish all that attention on one baby then I'm sure he or she will be a happily pampered pet :) I'm just really glad we got two!

Aw that's adorable! Thank you soooo much. You really helped :) I'm new here to BYC so thank you !

Ah I'm glad it helped :) we had a similar problem as we really wanted white campbells, we tried incubating eggs as we wanted imprinted ducklings but the hatch wasn't successful.

We're very happy now with our babies and wouldn't swap them for the world! They've found the new pet cushion I bought them earlier now :)

I love these girls sooooo much! :D x

Ah I'm glad it helped :) we had a similar problem as we really wanted white campbells, we tried incubating eggs as we wanted imprinted ducklings but the hatch wasn't successful.

We're very happy now with our babies and wouldn't swap them for the world! They've found the new pet cushion I bought them earlier now :)

I love these girls sooooo much! :D x
oh my goodness did you make those diapers yourself? Please tell me how!!!

I was doing some yard work and as I was about to pick up a shovel I noticed a duckling around a two weeks old. We look around for the parents for an hour and they were no where to be seen. I sat down and the duckling crawled right into my lap. We made a brooder for him with some old wood hips, moss, and a soft rag. Idk if he imprinted on me but after that he would follow me everywhere and lay on my chest or climb up and down my legs. Granted this duckling was completely alone and I was the only parent/friend figure in his life. But if you care for the duckling and spend a lot of time with it it is sure to either imprint or bond with you

They are too cute I can’t wait mine gets lol bigger

I got mine at 2 and 3 days old. They were kept together for the first two days and imprinted on each other, which is great, like @Quackanory said, because they stick together! Pretty sure they imprinted on me since I was one of the only humans they first met, and that was a really important thing for me, since they're pets, primarily!

Back
Top Bottom