Improving egg quality

chickndays

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Is there any good way to improve egg quality while hens are in an inclosed coop and run (per city ordinance)? Would love to get some rich orange yolks and even happier chickens. Chicken tunnels all over the yard also isn't possible. Maybe this isn't possible right now but thought I'd ask all the experts. :D

I feed my girls crushed red peppers, they cannot taste the heat, It makes the yolks a nice orange color. Marigolds work too, but some research says it may reduce egg production. Not all the girls eat the crushed hot peppers, but the ones that do have a big color difference. This was to answer the question of egg color only, I know folks will jump at this opportunity to let you know their feelings about everything I did not say because that's what some of these folks like to do. I know the color has NOTHING to do with the quality. I think you should feed your chickens the best diet you can, but to answer the color question, crushed chili peppers will work and not harm your girls in any way. Happy Chicken Keeping!

Last edited:
Yolk color has very little to do with egg quality. Feeding a balanced layer feed with various fruits and veggies and some mealworms or crickets will improve the nutrition of the eggs, and if it's color you're concerned about anything with a lot of red or yellow pigment like marigold will alter the color.

Yolk color has very little to do with egg quality. Feeding a balanced layer feed with various fruits and veggies and some mealworms or crickets will improve the nutrition of the eggs, and if it's color you're concerned about anything with a lot of red or yellow pigment like marigold will alter the color.
Ditto Dat!!

Back
Top Bottom