Improving your flock!

Quote:
Like this label:

Quote:
exactly....no need to kill them sheeeesh.
sad.png
that makes me sad u kill them when u can fix them easily....that to me is just being lazy or just plain mean
smack.gif

Ignorance is simply lack of knowledge, not a slant against someone or slander.

Jim

considering the warning of the author I understand your point >please do not lump my post in with that which you quoted from someone else as that is misleading.
I addressed your statement that treatment of illness (as opposed to culling) is ignorance and inexperience
...I am sure much of this is due to ignrance and lack of experience as few of us are actually farmers/breeders or have education or experience with animal breeding or production....

is not appreciated and I stand by that.​

Last edited:
Everyone on this forum loves chickens. Otherwise we wouldnt spend so much darn time on line. We need to be more respectful of each others view points and learn from each other. I understand and respect both view points here.

The late Fred Jeffery wrote a pretty comprehensive book on Chicken Diseases.
In it he stated that his "medicine cabinet" consisted of Louse Powder, a Coccidiostat & a hatchet. He made a very strong case for raising only healthy birds and breeding for disease resistance.
I can respect both points of view represented in this thread with the following exception: many people on this board advertise hatching eggs for sale. I'd hate to think that the people who believe in so-called saving weak or deformed chicks would then sell eggs from these birds so that someone else would be hatching genetically deficient birds.

Quote:
Incorrect temperature and humidity in an incubator can cause many different birth defects.

If you had read my post fully before responding, you would have understood that I do not advocate breeding from birds with defects. My point was that if you can rectify a problem to the extent where a bird can live a purposeful life, why not do so.

I'd appreciate it if you'd look at the tone of your message before hitting the 'Submit' button in future. We all have differing opinions, that's life, but ridiculing others just leads to constructive threads deteriorating into personal arguments.

I was just thinking that this morning...
hmm.png

I enjoy reading about people's opinions - gives me pause to think about my own methods for handling things. But I really don't like it when a constructive thread turns sour when people get their feathers ruffled. If you care to continue that route, please take it to private messages - don't do it here. Please?

Well I read the entire thread carefully, as usual. I read your entire post. I was not attacking or ridiculing anyone. I cannot help what inflections you or anyone else perceives in my posts.
If you are offended then you must not have read the entire post or there is something else that you are taking issue with.
I believe my post was very clear. I am perplexed by the statement that I quoted. That is my problem, not yours. I thought I was clear about that. I stated that I did not want to offend anyone and later clarified that by saying, "But please don't take me wrong. Please, I urge you to play the doctor! It is such a great experience! I wouldn't know half of what I do if not for playing doctor. The knowledge and understanding that can be gained from this is far too invaluable to ignore.".

Temperature and humidity can cause several different defects but splayed leg is certainly not one of them.

I understand that you do not agree with breeding birds that are defective, and on that we agree. As for the point you were trying to make, ("My point was that if you can rectify a problem to the extent where a bird can live a purposeful life, why not do so.") I was simply trying to explain the why not of it all whilst pointing out inconsistencies in the entire thread, not just you friend.

As for the ruffled feathers and tone of posts, it is very important to remember that we cannot hear the inflections and tones of our fellows' text. When we read these posts we must remember that we do not ever truly know what the other is thinking or how they meant it to come across. All that we can do is read the text and take it for what it is.
Furthermore, A mod did stop by and I have received no warnings or requests from the site administrators and or mods to, "tone down" my post. I think that if you step back and read the post again, as though it were coming from a friend, (which it is), you may see that you were not singled out and were not being attacked or ridiculed. In fact, I was admittedly perplexed.

Now, if after reading the post again you still feel ridiculed, would you do me a favor? Kindly point out exactly where and how I was attacking and or ridiculing anyone. I would certainly appreciate it.

Hope this serves to clarify any misunderstandings,
Dave

Seems like folks are done with this thread, but when I was a girl (along time ago), my friends Mom raise Siamese Cats. One of her cats had a litter and the Momma did clean up one of the babies and just left it to die. My friends Mom decided she do it for her. That cat ended up being the meanest, craziest, just not right cat that you've ever seen! I've taken that lesson till this day. Don't mess with mother nature!

Quote:
Unfortunately than can happen. That is why it is much better to buy birds from someone you know personally, so you know what you are getting in my opinion. Everyone has their own methods to raising fowl, and it is best to hook up with someone who shares your methods, and beliefs if possible.

Very true. If you like Ford go to a Ford dealership. lol
What are some other ways to improve your flock that we can discuss? It doesn't have to be about splayed leg or even culling.

What about the use of fresh herbs in your yard and feeds?

edited to add this
I find that tons of fresh Basil and mint, in combination with other herbs and DE have all but extinguished the very last traces of parasites in my yards. How about yall?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom