Impulsive chick purchase

I'm a newbie so others will know more, but I had a staggered hatch this year which made the ducklings ages differ by about a month. In order to get everyone to be safe and happy I let them see each other for a day or two before introducing them on neutral ground. I don't know if I was incredibly lucky, or if the idea worked. Lol. But I have 9 ducklings of all different hatch dates and no one is bullied. 😁

Here's how I did it...

The day a new duckling hatched it went into a small bin with screen on top (lattice type sides). Everyone was able to see and peep to each other safely. On the next day I would put them all into a new spot. Used the tub swim a few times. Also used a second hand pack-n-play, kiddie pool, etc. I would release them into the new spot by putting each into a corner so that they had to walk to the center. There they could meet on neutral ground. I would watch them for about an hour and then would put everyone back where they came from. I did this a couple/few times each day. By the second day on neutral ground I could usually integrated the newborn without issue. If there was any problem then the newborn would stay in the bin a day longer. Since my hatch was staggered, someone's there was only one newborn being introduced and sometimes two.

I wish you luck! I did not find it as difficult as I thought it would be, and I hope the same holds true for you 👍
20220415_150205.jpg

I don't use the bin anymore, but I added a picture so you could see it. Thankfully my hatching is done now! Haha

20220415_150756.jpg

Back
Top Bottom