In Awe over my alpha roo!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gvntofly05, Aug 2, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I took my large dog kennel and placed it in my run. I then built a small covered run off of the kennel and covered the kennel with a tarp. Then I went and got my almost seven week old chicks and placed them in the little coop/run within the run. I am working towards integration in a few weeks.

I then sat on my deck and watched everyone checking each other out.

My husband was mowing and blew some of the grass into the run. My alpha roo, who until this point was just standing and watching the chicks, started his scratching and low clucking he does when he finds a treat. This time he was doing it to call the chicks to eat!!!!

It was sooo cute. He's clucking and scratching and the little chicks are right next to him, with the poultry wire barrier.

Maybe integration won't be any trouble at all!

2. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    awww... I like hearing cute rooster stories. I read all of the "mean rooster" posts and worry that my Henry will wake up one morning and be mean! LOL
    Hope blending them goes well for you. [​IMG]

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    aw how sweet [​IMG] my mokey sits with the babies out side the coop until i go out and put them in then he follows me in.

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    My broody hen looked really interested in the babies too. She attacked them as soon as she was put in with them ( I watched and removed her when it was plain she did NOT want to be everyone's mamma).

Our rooster behaved as you described, but has brutally attacked all the male chicks, regardless of size.

I wish you great luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

Me, I wait until the youngsters are nearly the same size as the adults and use the pasture that contains the raspberry patch. The younger birds run into the raspberry patch when the "pecking order" activities get too much for them and the older birds cannot seem to follow them in. Eventually everyone gets used to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by