In coop brooder questions

When I used a 'heat' light in the inside brooder,
I used a 100W red reptile bulb with a dimmer extension cord.
Details here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

My heating pad also has multiple heat settings.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/

There's lots of ways to heat chicks, but care must be taken that they can adjust some themselves. Using a thermometer(except with over-head pads) and their behaviors to judge what works best.
I'll work on getting a red bulb. I have a thermometer (the white box in some of the pix) that logs data to a weatherstation so I can graph the temp over time. Last night, I left the two lights on (no chicks yet) and it got down to 78 which really isn't warm enough.

I'll work on getting a red bulb. I have a thermometer (the white box in some of the pix) that logs data to a weatherstation so I can graph the temp over time. Last night, I left the two lights on (no chicks yet) and it got down to 78 which really isn't warm enough.
Might point the light down so it warms the ground.

The white light is too bright (ANY white light) to keep on all night. It's not made for heating. You need the red light placed in such a way that they can move in or away from it as their temperature dictates. Either that or you need to move it up or down according to where you see the babies cluster. Far away-they are hot. In a pile beneath it-they are cold. Or a pad though I cannot speak to that method. The required heat decreases with age and begins at 95 degrees. Week two is 90 and week three is 85 degrees.

They are in week 3. I have a red light ordered from Amazon - will arrive tomorrow. I can see from my camera they were up eating and being chickens most of the night and sometimes slept under where the light was shining (on the pad) but sometime slept right under where the light was mounted - likely they could feel the radiant heat from the fixture. I have a fairly low wattage white bulb (40). Red bulb I ordered is 75. They are up and happy this morning :)

Why can't you use a seed mat like a heating pad? Just prop it up 2-3 inches and cover it with something, then check the temperature under the mat. Though I have never used a heat mat and just assumed they let off about 90 degrees.

Heating pads are cheap, but another handy device is a dimmer cord (under $10 at hardware stores). Dimmer cords let you control the power/heat output on bulbs, mats, etc...

Those super hot heat lamps are dangerous especially in a coop, plus the light keeps the chicks half awake all night long. When I occasionally add some heat to the coop (if the temp drops into the 20s) I use a 74 or 100W ceramic heat emitter bulb for reptiles

Last edited:
They are in week 3. I have a red light ordered from Amazon - will arrive tomorrow. I can see from my camera they were up eating and being chickens most of the night and sometimes slept under where the light was shining (on the pad) but sometime slept right under where the light was mounted - likely they could feel the radiant heat from the fixture. I have a fairly low wattage white bulb (40). Red bulb I ordered is 75. They are up and happy this morning :)
Chickens sleep all night long. The white light is keeping them awake. White light bulbs are measured in watts which is energy, not a measure of heat emitted. A 40W fluorescent bulb emits no heat at all. Your babies need an infrared light so they can sleep and stay warm. Your new light should work great! Just keep an eye on how they are spreading out beneath it.

Chickens sleep all night long. The white light is keeping them awake. White light bulbs are measured in watts which is energy, not a measure of heat emitted. A 40W fluorescent bulb emits no heat at all. Your babies need an infrared light so they can sleep and stay warm. Your new light should work great! Just keep an eye on how they are spreading out beneath it.

Chickens can see infrared light. That is why I use the ceramic heat emitters (no light at all, just heat).

New light installed yesterday. I also used a heavish towel to cover the screened part. Stayed about 10 degrees warmer and based on a few looks at my cameras, they also slept better. All 6 seem to be thriving! Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom