In lock down and someone is OOZING :P

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Dec 30, 2010.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I was just checking temps, etc, on my bator full of eggs and I noticed what looked like a tiny bead attached to one of the eggs. On closer examination I noticed many more beads and then a gooey drip of what looks like white dripping from the same egg. I'm assuming it's a dead egg anyway, but I'm in lock down (due Sat. morning) Do I risk leaving it in or do I try to pull it? [​IMG]

I tried to get pics, but my camera ate them... [​IMG] They weren't very clear anyway [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

GET IT OUT NOW! You will have a HUGE STINKY mess if you do not.

3. gamamachik

gamamachik Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    Sounds like a rotten egg...won't be good if it explodes ....smelly and messy......[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    handle it carefuly stick in zip lock them garbage bag! [​IMG]

5. cozycritters

cozycritters Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks! I just pulled it and it was pretty nasty looking. Thankfully it doesn't stink, but it looks like it was a time bomb waiting to ruin everything!

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Just in time! the first chick would have hatched and started a game of egg soccer and it would have been all over! [​IMG]

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    That can also happen when the chick pips and the heat and humidity is too high. Not as bad in chicks but a bigger problem with poults. Make sure the temp and humidity readings are correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by