In Magna, UT

HenOrRoo1

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
Magna, UT
Hello, all! I just signed up for an account even though I've been using BYC.com for lots of chicken research for quite a while. This site really is a fabulous resource. :) We live in Magna, UT, and we have a flock of 6. They're all different breeds, which keeps things interesting. We have a Red Sex Link named Sam, a Buff Orpington named Amber, a Cuckoo Maran named Soccer Ball, an Americauna named Chief Dan George, a Black Sex Link named Wonder Woman, and a White Leghorn named Cupcake. When you let your 3 and 5 year olds name your chickens, things get interesting. :) Glad to be an official member now!

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us! I think there is a Utah thread if you'd like to find others i your home state. Just type Utah in the search box and it should pop up.

I hope "Chief Dan George," turns out to be a rooster. LOL. There is a Utah thread and some very nice people on it.

Chief Dan George is a hen, without a doubt. She lays beautiful green eggs! :) Her name started out as a joke. When we got her, my 3 year old daughter wanted to name her. My husband started teasing out of the blue, "Her name should be Chief Dan George." Our daughter kept trying out names like Dinosaur Dinosaur, then she said, "Yeah, the chicken's name is Chief Dan George." We told her it didn't have to be, but she'd made up her mind. I guess it grew on her!

Our flock is mixed not just by having all different breeds, but age wise too. We got our first four girls, Sam, Amber, Soccer Ball, and Chief Dan George, from my Midwife. She was giving away her flock just as we were getting into having chickens. talk about great timing! We don't know how old they are. They were all mature egg layers when we brought them home. The two younger chickens, Wonder Woman and Cupcake, we got at IFA as chicks. they're 17 1/2 weeks old and not laying yet. Although, it looks like Cupcake is never going to. Seems we got a surprise rooster!

My 5 year old son chose him as an itty bitty chick so there was no telling what we had until it matured. I'm trying to find a flock he can go be part of and live a good long life. Failing that, my son said if someone wants to eat him, they can have him for $5.00. I told him the money would be all his since he chose the chick and helped raise it. I'm not sure how I feel about his being so practical.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom