In need of some help, not exactly sure whats going on with one of my hens (graphic)

cheypet187

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
this morning when i went to check on my girls i noticed some fresh blood in their coop. I quickly discovered that it was coming from my hen Chantecler, i at first believed that she could be egg bound so i ran her a bath to clean her off and hopefully help a possible egg pass... after she dried off and i was able to get a closer examination i found that a large chunk her underside is being affected by whatever is going on... i have absolutely no clue what is actually going on and could really use some extra sets of eyes.

For now keep her inside, comfy, and warm.

Any chance you can consult a vet? I'm not sure if you just have prolapse going on here or if that's a big sack of infection. In a while if you run her another warm bath put some epsom salt in it. You can apply preparation h, neosporin without pain meds, or even honey to her bum area to help soothe it. Witch hazel may help also. You may need an antibiotic.

Did you feel an egg? You can try crushing a calcium pill and feeding it to her with some bread. Sometimes it helps. Is that blob hard or squishy?

What does she normally eat? Anyone else having issues?

the small blob in the center feels hard, i was able to get her to eat some bread earlier but not vey much, i'm going to try again now with a calcium pill. thank you very much for your suggestions

You can also feed her some cooked egg or meal worms. When you bathe her make sure to dry her off. I use a blow dryer and they usually love it after the first seconds of turning it on. I hope this helps and that others can throw in some more advice.

Yes I tried to lubricate what i believe is an egg, but as for her underside, I'm afraid its too large and deep for me to put anything on/in there.... it almost looks like theres a chunk of her missing:( I don't know how else to describe it, i'm currently searching for a local vet

I wish you the best of luck.

If you think there's an egg you could rub some olive oil around there too. Just move slow and go gentle. I'm sure she has quite a bit of discomfort going on, but she's lucky you're there and I'm sure she appreciates everything you're trying to do.

Back
Top Bottom